P2P ports

Old September 24th 05, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

Default P2P ports

Hi,

Just got my upgrade from 512 to 1M from Tiscali, and the speeds are working
fine for browsing and downloading files using getright. The only problem is
that my P2P software (Azureus) won't go any faster than 60k/s.

I have tried many ports, and cannot get better than port 80. Whatever port
I choose and enter into my router, I get a green light (communicating with
the tracker correctly), but the transfer speeds are about 10k/s. Using port
80 I get 60k/s. Ports 79 & 81 are again a crappy 10k/s.

Does anyone know any better ports to try?

TIA

Bob

Old September 24th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Bob Smith" [email protected] wrote in message
Hi,

Just got my upgrade from 512 to 1M from Tiscali, and the speeds are
working fine for browsing and downloading files using getright. The only
problem is that my P2P software (Azureus) won't go any faster than 60k/s.

I have tried many ports, and cannot get better than port 80. Whatever
port I choose and enter into my router, I get a green light (communicating
with the tracker correctly), but the transfer speeds are about 10k/s.
Using port 80 I get 60k/s. Ports 79 & 81 are again a crappy 10k/s.

Does anyone know any better ports to try?

TIA

Bob

Try anything above 50000 - I personally use 54321

The highest speed I've had with Azureus is about 90k/s and I'm on BT
Broadband 2MB.

Have a fead through this as well

http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/inde...download_speed

Nicola

Old September 25th 05, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:45:58 +0100, "Bob Smith" [email protected]
wrote:

Does anyone know any better ports to try?

Try BitComet, it may work better for you, though YMMV. Often get
cracking d/l speeds (on 2Mb ADSL - maxed out).

I assume that you have limited your upload speed to 80% of max.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old September 27th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

wrote:

Does anyone know any better ports to try?

Try BitComet, it may work better for you, though YMMV. Often get
cracking d/l speeds (on 2Mb ADSL - maxed out).

I assume that you have limited your upload speed to 80% of max.

Thanks for the replies. I have seen it get up to about 90k/s since posting.
Maybe it's my 256kb/s upload that is not getting the peers to be any more
generous than 90k/s. And I do limit the UL to 25k/s to let acknowledge
packets through.

Bob

Old September 28th 05, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 20:47:59 +0100, "Bob Smith" [email protected]
wrote:

Maybe it's my 256kb/s upload that is not getting the peers to be any more
generous than 90k/s.

With BitComet, there does not seem to be any relationship between
upload speed and d/l speed (other than a high upload choking the ADSL
connection as it would do with any type of traffic).

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old September 29th 05, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

wrote:

Maybe it's my 256kb/s upload that is not getting the peers to be any more
generous than 90k/s.

With BitComet, there does not seem to be any relationship between
upload speed and d/l speed (other than a high upload choking the ADSL
connection as it would do with any type of traffic).

I thought it was built into all clients not to give data to someone who is
not giving it to them.

Bob