F2S ... an alternative to Plusnet

Old September 24th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ComPCs

Default F2S ... an alternative to Plusnet

I rarely use more than about 7 gig per month, so the 10Gig F2S package
at 19.99 would be perfect for me.

I see F2S rank better than Plusnet on ADSLguide.org ... anyone got some
real experience they want to share?

Are F2S a good option to replace my current Broadband Plus package? A
bit more expensive, but nothing is throttled, and it's a definite cap
without a 'naughty boy' spank if you go over.
Old September 25th 05, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

I rarely use more than about 7 gig per month, so the 10Gig F2S package
at 19.99 would be perfect for me.

I see F2S rank better than Plusnet on ADSLguide.org ... anyone got
some
real experience they want to share?

Are F2S a good option to replace my current Broadband Plus package? A
bit more expensive, but nothing is throttled, and it's a definite cap
without a 'naughty boy' spank if you go over.

I use F2S's 24.99 package. That was a 50 gig (sure it was less before -
but I used an uncapped 512 at the time), then it became a 100 gig cap.
It's now uncapped. I have 2 PCs, a laptop and an Xbox connected to it,
and download heavily. I have had no problems in the 2 years I have used
F2S. I did assist a friend in setting up a connection to them about a
year ago. The modem didn't sync at all. I called their support, and it
was first class, as well as being UK based. As well as me, I know 4
others who use F2S, and have had no complaints. The only downside I have
experienced is that there are no binary newsgroups. On the plus side, if
you are connected to one of their LLU exchanges, you can get up 8 meg
for the same price as 2. Furthermore, you get 20 x 200MB POP3/IMAP mail
boxes and 200MB webspace as well as static a IP address. If you do
decide to sign up - could you put 'geoham' in the box that asks if
anybody recommended the service to you - it's worth 10 to me if you do.
If you would like to know anything else, I'll do my best to answer them.

George

Old September 25th 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
ComPCs wrote:

I see F2S rank better than Plusnet on ADSLguide.org ... anyone got some
real experience they want to share?

Are F2S a good option to replace my current Broadband Plus package? A
bit more expensive, but nothing is throttled, and it's a definite cap
without a 'naughty boy' spank if you go over.

I use them, I migrated to them from Zen and they're a very good ISP and
I'd have no problem recommending them if you want an uncapped connection
with "no strings".

I would say that I have some doubts how they will cope with the influx
of customers who are being kicked off/encouraged to leave certain other
ISPs who won't accommodate their usage, but if you do migrate you'll be
on a monthly contract so if you want to leave you can do so without
penalty.

cheers,
Paul

Old September 25th 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Sep 2005 10:46, Paul Hutchings wrote:

I'd have no problem recommending them if you want an uncapped connection
with "no strings".

How does their news service compare with any others you've used, and do they
offer good retention on binaries ? Thanks.

(I have a contact using them at his office, but he wouldn't know the first or
last thing about newsgroups or newsreaders, so not worth asking him :-) PGM

Old September 25th 05, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
poster wrote:

On 25 Sep 2005 10:46, Paul Hutchings wrote:

I'd have no problem recommending them if you want an uncapped connection
with "no strings".

How does their news service compare with any others you've used, and do they
offer good retention on binaries ? Thanks.

It's pretty poor. They don't offer binaries and the text groups they
carry are limited. I'd budget for a third-party news service like I did.

cheers,
Paul

Old September 25th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Sep 2005 11:22, Paul Hutchings wrote:

It's pretty poor. They don't offer binaries and the text groups they
carry are limited. I'd budget for a third-party news service like I did.

Well, I don't need to at this point, because I haven't ordered the network
storage boxes (1000 GB at 500 quid) yet, but it is worth knowing they do
only text groups, as some people leaving Plus.Net had downloaded over 100
GB a month from their news service, and need to fund that separately! PGM

Old September 25th 05, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin D. Pay

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 19:38:19 +0100, ComPCs
mangled uncounted
electrons thus:

I rarely use more than about 7 gig per month, so the 10Gig F2S package
at 19.99 would be perfect for me.

I see F2S rank better than Plusnet on ADSLguide.org ... anyone got some
real experience they want to share?

Are F2S a good option to replace my current Broadband Plus package? A
bit more expensive, but nothing is throttled, and it's a definite cap
without a 'naughty boy' spank if you go over.

I've been with F2S since July 2003, and upgraded to 1mb (my line
won't support anything better) back in - March, was it? - when
they offered those free upgrades.

In that time I've had exactly zero downtime and have never had
any need at all to contact their tech support...

Martin D. Pay
Nuff said?