ADSL with fixed IP required for home office on a budget

Old September 24th 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

Default ADSL with fixed IP required for home office on a budget

Hi

A few weeks ago I was planning to go for Tiscali's business ADSL range
starting at under 20 + VAT but from quite a number of responses to one of
my posts a few weeks ago, I realised that too many people are unhappy with
them.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the web site that's sometimes
mentioned here, which compares the various providers' offerings?

Cheers

Old September 24th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Martin
says...
Hi

A few weeks ago I was planning to go for Tiscali's business ADSL range
starting at under 20 + VAT but from quite a number of responses to one of
my posts a few weeks ago, I realised that too many people are unhappy with
them.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the web site that's sometimes
mentioned here, which compares the various providers' offerings?

Cheers

Eclipse do business ADSL at reasonable prices, no caps or throttling and
static IPs included.. More than one if you need it.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=bbhome

Very good support based in the UK as well. Screw Indian call centres.
They might be cheap but are a waste of time and effort if you need help.

FR
Old September 24th 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

"

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Old September 25th 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain Miller

"Martin" wrote in message
Hi

A few weeks ago I was planning to go for Tiscali's business ADSL range
starting at under 20 + VAT but from quite a number of responses to one of
my posts a few weeks ago, I realised that too many people are unhappy with
them.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the web site that's
sometimes
mentioned here, which compares the various providers' offerings?

Demon to it for 25

I.

Old September 25th 05, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 24 Sep 2005 20:10 UTC, "Martin" wrote:

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the web site that's sometimes
mentioned here, which compares the various providers' offerings?

www.ADSLguide.org is probably what you are after, but (unless they have
altered it quite a bit recently) it might not allow you to really search
for 'best value' depending on your needs... One thing which has made the
search tool less useful is the fact that while searches can be done by the
price for a year, split into different bands of speed, there's no easy way
to include any "pay as you go" selection, for how much traffic you expect
to use, and how that affects the costs. So you can find several ISPs at
very similar prices but some may have very small traffic allowances and
others be quite generous, along with the cost for the first year being
skewed depending on whether one has to find an (overpriced) activation
fee (such as Metronet charging 69.95 when BT charges them under 50) or
whether the ISP will absorb it if you stick with them for a year. Also
whether you really need a fixed IP will depend on a number of factors,
such as what applications you will be using. In the past I found there
were benefits to a fixed IP (eg for remote control of a PC using VNC) but
there are other ways to do this which will work even if the IP is dynamic.

Old September 25th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Coates

Freedom2surf do Fixed IP's and unlimited downloads if that helps from
www.f2s.com

Old September 26th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr. Compynei

"Martin" wrote:
Hi

A few weeks ago I was planning to go for Tiscali's business ADSL range
starting at under 20 + VAT but from quite a number of responses to one of
my posts a few weeks ago, I realised that too many people are unhappy with
them.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the web site that's

sometimes
mentioned here, which compares the various providers' offerings?

Cheers

www.metronet.co.uk

Excellent Service all round. Though I don't use htem at home

Old September 26th 05, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi

A few weeks ago I was planning to go for Tiscali's business ADSL range
starting at under 20 + VAT but from quite a number of responses to one of
my posts a few weeks ago, I realised that too many people are unhappy with
them.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the web site that's sometimes
mentioned here, which compares the various providers' offerings?

Cheers

I've been with www.e7even.com for a few months and, apart from a
hiccup in the last few days, have been very good.
They give you a fixed IP.

Old October 2nd 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Martin
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:10:00 writes

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the web site that's
sometimes mentioned here, which compares the various providers'
offerings?

Http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Look at Metronet. 12+VAT per month for 1Mb with 2GB/month traffic and a
fixed IP.

For a light user it should be more than enough. They have been around
for many years and I have used them for several clients and have had no
complaints.

For 10+VAT you can get 512Mb and 200MB/month which may even be enough
for a really light user.

And the contract is only for either 1 or 3 months - not sure which.

--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)