PlusNet Rationing MACs ?

Old September 25th 05, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

Default PlusNet Rationing MACs ?

On 25 Sep 2005 08:33 GMT, "N/A" wrote:

They've had 2 1/2 working days last week to do something but they have
chosen to do nothing.

You don't have "ACR" on your phone line, which might block them from
trying to phone you to discuss the matter ? No record of "attempted
to contact the user" shown on the Ticket ? Might be that Plus.Net has
decided to leave such contact calls to some of their more senior staff,
so they will not be "newbies" and (a) be ready for someone giving them a
load of abuse, if the user is totally unhappy because they have been one
of the "heavy traffic club" and (b) to cover all aspects of the policies
which have been adopted, or be able to quickly compare the account which
the customer uses to all those available, in case another type might be
more suitable for the customer. If they have decided on that method,
it might be staff availability which is hampering the number of calls
per day, as well as such staff perhaps not working every weekend. PGM
Old September 25th 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:59:46 GMT, "N/A" wrote:

I have not idea what ACR is, but my phobne has been working fine for a long
time. Nobody has reported problems phoning in.

You'd know if you had "Anonymous Call Rejection" (phone would not ring if the
caller had "withheld" their number, pretty much standard from call centres,
and then they have the audacity to ask you for details to confirm *your*
identity, when there's not a thing to confirm they are who they say they are!

{Sorry, one of those little niggles, but one which comes back if they try to
get me on the phone but hide behind a withheld call!}

I'm interested in getting hold of my MAC, not abusing Plusnet staff & I very
much doubt they would have bothered to attempt to call me "regarding
retention process" if I was a member of the heavy usage club.

I think it is just policy, because I doubt they check on the customer's
account restrictions (don't even know if they are clearly shown for the
customer support people, anyway)... any comment about "abusing staff"
was not intended as a suggestion that you might do so, just that it may
be expected, given the way some people seem to have reacted...

Whatever offers or advice Plusnet have to offer during their "retenion
process" are of no interest to me.

Understood. It might, however, just be policy to ask why each and every
customer is leaving, finding out who they are going to (for statistics,
though I don't know if it is also to see if those same ISPs later on add
something similar in terms of "fair use" policies :-) and because if they
fail to ask, their remaining customers, and also, for that matter, their
shareholders, could legitimately ask "did you do all you could to ask the
customer what is wrong, and offer them alternative accounts". So by not
speaking to you, they'd be failing a "duty of care" so to speak! I know
what it is like, as I might have pointed out in this or some other thread,
as I've been there. I simply made it plain that nothing was going to meet
my needs if I remained with Plus.Net (on the account I was at the time, to
do what I needed to do at that time) so they may as well forget talking to
me to discuss it and just issue the MAC. Whether one would have more joy
by ringing them (and after this many days, have you done so?) I don't know
but I had a response because I used either the ADSLguide or Plus.Net user
forum, commenting on the delay getting a MAC, and someone at Plus.Net was
back in touch using e-mail or a private message. Have you tried either
forum to complain about the delay ? Peter M (just a happy customer!)

Old September 25th 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

poster wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:59:46 GMT, "N/A" wrote:

I'm interested in getting hold of my MAC, not abusing Plusnet staff & I very
much doubt they would have bothered to attempt to call me "regarding
retention process" if I was a member of the heavy usage club.

I think it is just policy, because I doubt they check on the customer's
account restrictions (don't even know if they are clearly shown for the
customer support people, anyway)...

They've always done that. When I first left them, back around the turn
of the century, you had to send them a registered letter cancelling the
account and include your reason for leaving.

FWIW, I went back to them 6 months or so later, I was just trying out
various ISPs at the time to see which I liked, as they seemed the best
available.

My 2c....

I left again a couple of months ago and subsequently got my broadband
elsewhere. It wasn't because of any major problems, although at the
time I was having niggles with the dial-up service, but I just got the
impression that they were getting overwhelmed by the big increase in
their customer base. Coupled with the "headless chicken" model that they
seemed to employing to solve their problems (e.g. the proliferation of
different accounts) I decided it might be advisable to leave. A
decision that, given the current situation, looks like a good one.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.
Old September 25th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Sep 2005 12:41, Ian Bartholomew wrote:

the proliferation of different accounts) I decided it might be advisable to leave.
A decision that, given the current situation, looks like a good one.

What didn't suit you seems to have suited me, and after a relatively short
spell with another ISP, I went back. I don't see their "proliferation of
different accounts" as being that bad, to be honest. I suspect a slightly
higher "churn" given the new policy in place, and a few other ISPs taking a
bit of strain as they get the heaviest users moving in on them, ready to suck
as much data as their link will allow!

From a practical view, if one can simply ignore the two higher speed accounts
(as 4000 and 8000 kbps products aren't available) and one is looking either in
the Home, Teleworker, or Office categories there are v few accounts in each of
the sectors to choose from... PAYG, Premier, or Broadband Plus for home users,
and the last suited my (residential) needs down to the ground. I've a slight
niggle over the speed of Usenet where the description suggests it is only at
"busy periods" when this is slowed down, where in truth it is 24x7, but not
as important as being able to stream audio and video and those work at the
full speed of my (2000 kbps) connection, so I have as good a speed as users
of some other ISPs paying double or treble or more. YMMV :-) Peter M.

Old September 25th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Sep 2005 11:46 GMT, "N/A" wrote:

It's rather interesting that they haven't responded immediately with a
vigorous denial.

They only look at threads when there's time. Sometime I wish Usenet has as
much attention as the ADSLguide or Plus.Net user forum web pages, but quite
a number of past postings have been in "home" time rather than from work so
I'm personally grateful those staff who do look in bother to follow up with
customer problems as much as they do. A phone call is guaranteed to get an
answer, Tickets in the Contact Us system also, though apologies given from
time to time about delays suggest big gaps in promptness. Peter M.