Any detailed router comparisons

Old September 25th 05, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Taylor

Default Any detailed router comparisons

I'm trying to choose an ADSL/wifi router that has specific
features, but none of the reviews I can find go into detail.
Are there any sites where I can search by feature for the
router of my dreams?

My specific requirements include:

Must be a proper switching router, not just a hub
Wifi supporting AES encryption (a.k.a. CCMP)
Full config control via ssh and telnet, not just a web interface
Prefer web interface to work with older browsers (no javascript or CSS)
NAT Port forwarding for incoming connections to my web server
Allows one station to monitor network in promiscuous mode
Counts data transferred, preferably distinguishing each station
Secure and stable

What are the most likely makes/models to match those requirement?

Thanks hugely for any help you can offer.

--
James Taylor, London, UK PGP key: 3FBE1BF9
To protect against spam, the address in the "From:" header is not valid.

Old September 25th 05, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

James Taylor wrote:

I'm trying to choose an ADSL/wifi router that has specific
features, but none of the reviews I can find go into detail.
Are there any sites where I can search by feature for the
router of my dreams?

My specific requirements include:

Must be a proper switching router, not just a hub
Wifi supporting AES encryption (a.k.a. CCMP)
Full config control via ssh and telnet, not just a web interface
Prefer web interface to work with older browsers (no javascript or CSS)
NAT Port forwarding for incoming connections to my web server
Allows one station to monitor network in promiscuous mode
Counts data transferred, preferably distinguishing each station
Secure and stable

What are the most likely makes/models to match those requirement?

Thanks hugely for any help you can offer.

I think for something like that, you either pay loads of money
or you need to run something like IPCop liveCD software.
Its free and all open source and you can configure to
hearts content.
http://www.livecdlist.com

Old September 25th 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Taylor

In article ,
7 wrote:

James Taylor wrote:

My specific requirements include:

A. Must be a proper switching router, not just a hub
B. Wifi supporting AES encryption (a.k.a. CCMP)
C. Full config control via ssh and telnet, not just a web interface
D. Prefer web interface to work with older browsers (no javascript or CSS)
E. NAT Port forwarding for incoming connections to my web server
F. Allows one station to monitor network in promiscuous mode
G. i) Counts data transferred,
ii) preferably distinguishing each station
H. Secure and stable

I think for something like that, you either pay loads of money
or you need to run something like IPCop liveCD software.

I can't believe that there aren't any affordable mainstream routers
that will do 90% of what I list above. D is not essential if I can
use C instead. Most routers will do A, C, E, F, G(i), and H so
I'm really only asking for B and G(ii). At a push I could even
write my own program to perform G(ii) if the router supports F.
So the main thing I require is B, ie. which wifi routers support
AES encryption?

Can anyone name even one router that supports AES encryption?

Old September 25th 05, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

"James Taylor" wrote in message

Can anyone name even one router that supports AES encryption?

The Buffalo range appear to use the Broadcom 802.11 chipset which appears to
support AES encryption.

Old September 25th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

7 wrote:

James Taylor wrote:

My specific requirements include:

A. Must be a proper switching router, not just a hub
B. Wifi supporting AES encryption (a.k.a. CCMP)
C. Full config control via ssh and telnet, not just a web interface
D. Prefer web interface to work with older browsers (no javascript or

CSS)
E. NAT Port forwarding for incoming connections to my web server
F. Allows one station to monitor network in promiscuous mode
G. i) Counts data transferred,
ii) preferably distinguishing each station
H. Secure and stable

dont know any comparison sites that go that deep into detail.

adslguide.org.uk reviews read like they are written by an engineer rather
than a publicist.....

I think for something like that, you either pay loads of money
or you need to run something like IPCop liveCD software.

I can't believe that there aren't any affordable mainstream routers
that will do 90% of what I list above. D is not essential if I can
use C instead. Most routers will do A, C, E, F, G(i), and H so
I'm really only asking for B and G(ii). At a push I could even
write my own program to perform G(ii) if the router supports F.
So the main thing I require is B, ie. which wifi routers support
AES encryption?

Can anyone name even one router that supports AES encryption?

try any of the cisco stuff in the new ISR range - 87x probably fits fairly
well.
generic pages at www.cisco.com/go/isr

870s specifically:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...380/index.html
but - not consumer stuff so not cheap.

--
James Taylor, London, UK PGP key: 3FBE1BF9
To protect against spam, the address in the "From:" header is not valid.
In any case, you should reply to the group so that everyone can benefit.
If you must send me a private email, use james at oakseed demon co uk.

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl