DNS Problems with D500 & Pipex DSL

Old September 25th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Twisted

Default DNS Problems with D500 & Pipex DSL

Im getting a DNS error when ever I try to get my Pipex email on my Samsung
D500. I've made sure that the username/password, pop/smtp is setup.

Any ideas?

(USERNAME)%dsl.pipex.com
smtpauth.dsl.pipex.com
pop.dsl.pipex.com

--
Many thanks.

Email is valid, watch the spam trap.

Old September 25th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Guy Austin

"Twisted" wrote in message
Im getting a DNS error when ever I try to get my Pipex email on my Samsung
D500. I've made sure that the username/password, pop/smtp is setup.

Any ideas?

(USERNAME)%dsl.pipex.com
smtpauth.dsl.pipex.com
pop.dsl.pipex.com

you can get pop3 mail from pipex
but you will probably need to send smtp mail to your network providers email
server

Old September 25th 05, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Matt Wheeler

"Twisted" wrote in message
Im getting a DNS error when ever I try to get my Pipex email on my
Samsung
D500. I've made sure that the username/password, pop/smtp is setup.

Any ideas?

(USERNAME)%dsl.pipex.com
smtpauth.dsl.pipex.com
pop.dsl.pipex.com

Try the appropriate IP addresses for each server instead of the FQDN ?

Old September 25th 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy

"Twisted" wrote in message
Im getting a DNS error when ever I try to get my Pipex email on my Samsung
D500. I've made sure that the username/password, pop/smtp is setup.

Any ideas?

(USERNAME)%dsl.pipex.com
smtpauth.dsl.pipex.com
pop.dsl.pipex.com

Getting closer. Before, the server name wouldn't ping from my computer. Now,
both of them will.

When I do ping smtpauth.dsl.pipex.com, it does a DNS lookup, which returns
an IP address of 62.241.163.101 and then sends a ping packet to that address

When I do ping pop.dsl.pipex.com, it does a DNS lookup, which returns an IP
address of 62.241.163.110 and then sends a ping packet to that address

When your phone wants to try sending or receiveing email, it tries to do a
DNS lookup on the server name you told it, then tries to contact the server
using its IP address. Your phone comes back with "DNS error", which I'm sure
means that it's unable to resolve the name to an IP address. You can do that
bit for your phone.

So, instead of smtpauth.dsl.pipex.com, use 62.241.163.101 instead
and instead of pop.dsl.pipex.com, use 62.241.163.110 instead.

I tested the server names you gave, using telnet, and they do appear to be
an SMTP and POP3 server respectively. So you should be closer now...

Good luck,

--
Andy.

Old September 25th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy

"Andy" wrote in message

"Twisted" wrote in message
[...]

Keep forgetting, you will more than likely need to use the SMTP server that
belongs to the ISP that you are dialling or GPRSing through to be able to
send email. You'll need to find that out separately; it's not run by Pipex.

For now, concentrate on the 62.241.163.110 address as the pop3 server name,
and see if you can pickup emails sent to you, on your phone.

--
Andy