Expected speed with 50:1?

Old September 25th 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Expected speed with 50:1?

Hi Folks
Can anyone tell me a reasonable speed I should expect with a `upto
2meg` adsl line with 50:1 contention ratio please?.
My isp has said that I do appear to have a fault after I sent them the
results of some speed tests and they have reported it and it will be
done s.a.p. (whenever that is?).
Running the Giganews speedtest I have been getting speeds of 250 to
300kbps but had 1700 to 1900kbps in my first month with my isp.
Is 250 to 300 reasonable if all 50 are online?.
Cheers
Steve

Old September 25th 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Hi Dave
I`m not really sure how it all works with isp`s. I assumed they have
maybe one server per 50 users with a maximum number of kbps available
to it which is then shared by any or all of those users or have I got
that wrong?. So if say 50meg is available to it and all 50 were
accessing then a speed of 1meg would be the most you could use or 25
accessing it with 2megs each??. I don`t know what bandwidth is
available at any time. I have been sent the same Latency statement a
few times from my isp saying stuff like "the web is becoming more
popular now so slower speeds might be expected from time to time".
But they do recognise I have a problem so I`ll see what happens.
The bt speedcheck says a normal speed for up to 2meg line should be
from 400 to 2000kbps.
Steve

Old September 26th 05, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 25 Sep 2005 12:23:45 -0700, "Steve"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me a reasonable speed I should expect with a `upto
2meg` adsl line with 50:1 contention ratio please?.

BT's speed tester quotes 400-2000 kbits/s as expected speed for 2M
line.

Phil

Old September 26th 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

wrote:

Hi Folks
Can anyone tell me a reasonable speed I should expect with a `upto
2meg` adsl line with 50:1 contention ratio please?.
My isp has said that I do appear to have a fault after I sent them the
results of some speed tests and they have reported it and it will be
done s.a.p. (whenever that is?).
Running the Giganews speedtest I have been getting speeds of 250 to
300kbps but had 1700 to 1900kbps in my first month with my isp.
Is 250 to 300 reasonable if all 50 are online?.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

There are several factors that determine the overall contention, and
therefore speed, you'll experience at any one time, a bit like the UK
road system

e.g.
* Number of users vs. amount of backhaul (bandwidth) from your local
serving exchange
* State of the system overall at any given time
* Additional contention introduced by your ISP
* Any engineering problems at the time you measure it

The ratios quoted aren't hard and fast, they're more of a "target
worst case".

Don't rely on external speed tests as they're subject to factors
beyond the provider's control. Instead, you should try BT's internal
speed test, the details of which escape me right now without looking
it up. This will give a more accurate representation of the state of
your line at any given time. To use it you have to reconfigure your
router/connection settings.

Jake
Old September 26th 05, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Thanks all, much appreciated.
Steve