Some Questions about Availability

Old September 26th 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Some Questions about Availability

I did a BT availability check on two phone lines in my work today (for
reasons that I will explain).

The two lines come from the same exchange, and are installed literally next
to each other in the building.

1 result said 2Mb would be available, and the other said 1Mb maybe.

How does that work then. I guess the line lengths will be the same length.
Only difference, one line was installed some months after the other.

I am curious because we move house next month (from a cable area where I
have 2Mb :-( so have to get ADSL for the first time).

I ran the existing residents phone number (which he does have ADSL on though
I'm not sure what speed) through the BT checker, and it says 1MB (maybe).

When I called BT and told them I would be moving they gave me a new phone
number (not yet live) and said they would make it ADSL enabled so my chosen
ISP could apply broadband quicker.

Now what are the chances would you say of the checker being the same result
when I take over the property with a different phone number (can't check the
new number yet as it's not live yet)? I guess it's the same line BT will
use but maybe in a different socket in the exchange.

If you check the address it also says 1Mb. However, the address 4 doors up
says 2Mb (which is technically further from the exchange unless BT ran some
bizarre route with the lines) The whole estate is less than 1 mile from the
exchange if you follow the roads.

How hit and miss is their system? And if I applied to the ISP for broadband
as soon as the phone line went live and BT would only allow 1Mb on it, what
are the chances of 'forcing' them to put it to 2Mb as other houses on the
street can have it and it's a new estate all built at the same time.

I don't want to drop from a 2Mb on cable to a 1Mb on ADSL :-(

For info the ISP I will be using when I move will be PlusNet.

Old September 26th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:03:52 +0100, "K" @. wrote:

For info the ISP I will be using when I move will be PlusNet.

After everything that's been written about them in this group
recently?

--
Tony
Old September 26th 05, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

K wrote:
I did a BT availability check on two phone lines in my work today (for
reasons that I will explain).

The two lines come from the same exchange, and are installed
literally next to each other in the building.

1 result said 2Mb would be available, and the other said 1Mb maybe.

Just because the lines come from the same exchange doesn't mean that
they use the same cables & route, so it is perfectly possible for the
above to be true.

Old September 26th 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"K" @. wrote in message
I did a BT availability check on two phone lines in my work today (for
reasons that I will explain).

The two lines come from the same exchange, and are installed literally

next
to each other in the building.

1 result said 2Mb would be available, and the other said 1Mb maybe.

How does that work then. I guess the line lengths will be the same

length.
Only difference, one line was installed some months after the other.

not necessarily, they could take different routes, due to cable capacity for
instance..

P.

Old September 26th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:03:52 +0100, "K" @. wrote:

How hit and miss is their system?

1% likely to offer you something that won't work, maybe 20% likely to
offer you a slower speed than would actually work.

Phil

Old September 26th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

For info the ISP I will be using when I move will be PlusNet.

After everything that's been written about them in this group
recently?

I have used PlusNet at work for a couple of years and really like them.
Even with the 'restrictions' on certain traffic I would still be happy to
use them as I don't think I will exceed the limits.

Old September 27th 05, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
OneMeg

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:03:52 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband you wrote:

How does that work then. I guess the line lengths will be the same length.
Only difference, one line was installed some months after the other.

Pardon the SNIP: It is because the original line was copper pure and
old tech, nice and thick and insulated....the other line is not of the
same material even though the lengths are the same, the appearance or
pathway or poles or junction boxes all inclusive...

DPSLO