wireless theft

Old September 26th 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Johnnie Scott

Default wireless theft

Where can I check the log for my broadband please. I think a person nearby
is stealing my download time
Thanks
john

Old September 26th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Where can I check the log for my broadband please. I think a person nearby
is stealing my download time
Thanks
john

Your time would be better spent improving your wi-fi security IMHO
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 26th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Johnnie Scott wrote:
Where can I check the log for my broadband please. I think a person
nearby is stealing my download time
Thanks
john

Bit silly leaving your wireless connection open without any security &
if there are any logs it'll be in your router...

Old September 26th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike H

"Brian Morrison" wrote

If you've left it wide open, then you need to secure it.

...or accept that you are providing a 'hot-spot' for the benefit of the
community!

- Mike

Old September 26th 05, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Johnnie Scott wrote:
Where can I check the log for my broadband please. I think a person nearby
is stealing my download time
Thanks
john

It is really easy to add security to your wireless network. None is
foolproof, but you can make it far to much trouble to bother.

i) A very simple way of stopping anyone logging on, is to set up a mac
address block, only allow your own wireless mac codes (all network devices
have a unique mac code). this is good enough to exclude casual hackers.
ii) put on a nice simple 64bit WEP key on, nice simple ten character code.

Gaz

Old September 26th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Gaz wrote:
Johnnie Scott wrote:

Where can I check the log for my broadband please. I think a person nearby
is stealing my download time
Thanks
john

It is really easy to add security to your wireless network. None is
foolproof, but you can make it far to much trouble to bother.

i) A very simple way of stopping anyone logging on, is to set up a mac
address block, only allow your own wireless mac codes (all network devices
have a unique mac code). this is good enough to exclude casual hackers.
ii) put on a nice simple 64bit WEP key on, nice simple ten character code.

Gaz

And don't broadcast your SSID.

None of these is foolproof; all can be bypassed. But it will stop casual
usage.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old September 26th 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Where can I check the log for my broadband please. I think a person nearby
is stealing my download time

Have you enabled any encryption WEP / WPA ?

How about tying down the MAC addresses to only allow devices you own* ?

* That might not work, as if he`s had unhindered access for some time,
he may have grabbed your MAC addresses, and be able to spoof them.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Old September 26th 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

How about tying down the MAC addresses to only allow devices you own* ?
* That might not work, as if he`s had unhindered access for some time,
he may have grabbed your MAC addresses, and be able to spoof them.

Further to my previous post, try an IP scanning program, like this...

http://www.angryziber.com/ipscan/

You can put some seperate DLL files in the program directory to give it
more capability, like accessing the remote machine by ftp / telnet, as
well as grabbing the MAC addresses.

Old September 27th 05, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Ingle

Killa wrote:

Would I be correct in assuming that your definition of a "casual
hacker" is a hacker who hasn't figured out how to use Google?

I suppose it really depends on the type of people who live near you and
how determined they are to use your wireless connection. I just use MAC
address filtering and don't even bother to hide my SSID, though I do
check the log every now and then just in case, and so far have had no
issues. If I find something amiss I'll just crank up the security
settings.
Old September 27th 05, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Killa wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:19:29 +0100, Gaz
wrote:

It is really easy to add security to your wireless network. None is
foolproof, but you can make it far to much trouble to bother.

i) A very simple way of stopping anyone logging on, is to set up a mac
address block, only allow your own wireless mac codes (all network devices
have a unique mac code). this is good enough to exclude casual hackers.

Would I be correct in assuming that your definition of a "casual
hacker" is a hacker who hasn't figured out how to use Google?

I'm currently picking up someone else's network when I do a site survey.
It looks quite open. It's awfully tempting to connect up and see what
he's got..... especially as it's just one click away. As it is, I just
have his name, address and make of WAP :-)

If he had any shred, at all, of security, the problem would change from
one of just resisting temptation, to one of it not being worth the
effort. I don't believe most people are serious hackers. Many might
easily be tempted though to have a quick click and peek, and be more
tempted by what they then find.

ii) put on a nice simple 64bit WEP key on, nice simple ten character code.

The OP suspected someone "nearby", i.e. someone who can (presumably)
sit in the comfort of their own home passively monitoring traffic on
the WLAN until he has enough data to crack the WEP keys. WEP may be
good enough to provide some protection against the war driver passing
your house at 30mph, but if the "hacker" is next door then it is best
to assume it is useless (unless you change the WEP key at a rate which
is faster than the hacker could be expected to crack it - which, of
course, depends on the data volumes on your WLAN, but if you change it
every 5 minutes you should be OK).

I tried to set up WPA on mine, but belkin seem to have problems with it.
So there's not always a good choice.

I already monitor the arp table on my LAN and email myself about any new
addresses seen. I've been tempted lately to use similar techniques to
close down wireless access if this were to happen. Still wouldn't stop
someone spoofing an existing MAC address though.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)