Check and check again.

Old September 27th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

Default Check and check again.

I currently have two hard drives, C and G. G is simply a backup that I
now wish to reformat. Unfortunately I have check disk wanting to check
it on each boot up and I tried all the usual registry steps to remove
it. At one time I managed to stop it by following recognised steps but
then got a reminder that the PC was skipping doing it. I used system
restore to try to get back to normal but now its back again. I keep
forgetting to press any button to stop it on start-up so I then have to
wait for it to complete a check, is there anything short of murder I can
do to stop it.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old September 27th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:51:58 +0100, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

I currently have two hard drives, C and G. G is simply a backup that I
now wish to reformat.

I think you sent this message to the wrong group!

Try comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage for any drive problems.

http://www.easynn.com
Old September 27th 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

I currently have two hard drives, C and G. G is simply a backup that I
now wish to reformat. Unfortunately I have check disk wanting to check
it on each boot up and I tried all the usual registry steps to remove
it. At one time I managed to stop it by following recognised steps but
then got a reminder that the PC was skipping doing it. I used system
restore to try to get back to normal but now its back again. I keep
forgetting to press any button to stop it on start-up so I then have
to wait for it to complete a check, is there anything short of murder
I can do to stop it.

I assume you're running some flavour of W98?

If it starts doing a Scandisk, just press X to exit - and it will then abort
the scan and get on with booting normally.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 27th 05, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

I think he's referring to when Windows XP constantly runs chkdsk on startup.
Ive had the problem before. It will run chkdsk restart and run chkdsk again
while never entering windows. I couldn't even skip it! It took me ages to
solve. Think in the end I got rid of the problem by entering recovery
console and using fix/ mbr but even this didn't work first time.

There some infomation here and there's loads of information on google with
this problem. It's more common than people think and can drive ya mad!

http://www.infopackets.com/channels/...p_part _2.htm

Dan