Efficient 5861 & Demon Home no WAN IP address

Old September 27th 05, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rubinho

Default Efficient 5861 & Demon Home no WAN IP address

I got an Efficient Networks 5861 router from eBay the other day so I
can share my new Demon Home 2 meg ADSL connection. Problem is I can't
get it to obtain a WAN IP address no matter what I do.

I've got the DSL tools 3.9.6 08 June 2001 (latest?) from Efficient and
connecting to the router with this it reports software v6.1.001 which I
believe is a non-BT crippled version. The LAN side all appears to be
fine, DHCP and the like are working and I can connect to the web
management interface. Thus far I've configured it using the "Easy
setup" where I have done:

WAN Interface
Data PVC (VPI*VCI) 0 * 38

WAN Protocol
RFC 1483 MAC Encapsulated Routing (MER) (but I also tried vanilla RFC
1483)

RFC 1483 MER Networking
Bridging enabled: Yes

IP Routing enabled: Yes
Obtain configuration automatically from WAN using DHCP: Yes
NAT enabled: Yes
Block NetBIOS traffic: Yes

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
DHCP server enabled on LAN: Yes
Obtain DNS information automatically: Yes (but I also tried putting in
my host name and Demon's DNS servers too)

LAN IP Configuration
IP: 192.168.254.254
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Then in Remote File Configuration I have one remote file called
"internet". This has the settings:

Remote name: internet
Protocol: PRFC1483MER
PPP username:
PPP password: mypassword
PVC: 0 * 38
NAT: enable
Source IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Source Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0

When I save these settings and reboot the modem I get no IP
connectivity from either the PCs connected to it or the router itself
(I've tried pinging various hostnames and IPs from the CLI on the
router). The WAN connection speed figures report correctly but the WAN
IP address stays as 0.0.0.0. This suggests to me that the WAN DHCP
client isn't working properly.

In web searches I've found that it could be the firewall blocking the
DHCP packets so I went to Firewall Scripts, checked None then Apply to
turn it off then I rebooted but still no WAN IP address.

I've looked through the diagnostic screens on the web interface and
some of the CLI commands but nothing jumps out as being especially a
problem. I must admit my knowledge of diagnosing this particular
device is incomplete so I may be missing where some of the error
messages live. I do not have a serial cable with this router so I may
be missing some of the information that's available here when the
router boots.

I'd really appreciate any assistance on getting this working because
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the rather long message!

Cheers,

Robin

Old September 28th 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasmine

There are whole forums devoted to the deficient routers. Check further on
the web (if access is possible).

Ignore the wan, you want the lan working first. You must be on the same
class network and try renewing your adapter with the router up and running.
You could try pre-programming in the gateway address into your tcp/ip (no
idea on the 5861 - I could guess at 192.168.254.254 or .255). How familiar
are you with networks?

Best advice yet (not that you'll want to hear this) is to ditch it and by a
real device, a simple to setup, working 4-port (wired) router and modem
(8.6M type) can be bought new for 25+ (or less perhaps). You plug them in,
set-up from a web page and go (really).

oups.com...

Old September 28th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Preston

Rubinho wrote:

WAN Protocol
RFC 1483 MAC Encapsulated Routing (MER) (but I also tried vanilla RFC
1483)

This is your problem.

Set that to PPPoA with VC Mux.

--
Tim Preston ISP Network Design Engineer

"So much style without substance, So much stuff without style
It's hard to recognise a real thing, That comes along once in a while"