Is this line noisy?

Old September 27th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

Default Is this line noisy?

On 2005-09-27 15:52:53 +0100, Brian Morrison said:

My advice to the OP is correct though; he should be seeing a much
better SNR than he describes on a 50dB loss line, it should be a
minimum of 20dB, and more like 25dB. Clearly there is some interference
and I suspect it could be local and coming in through unbalanced ring
wiring on extensions.

There are no other sockets connected to this line & I tested today with
nothing but a new Voyager 105 connected to a new splitter. The line was
installed two or three months ago after previous support calls failed
to resolve similar problems, so is used only for fax & broadband - I
think there may be extensions on the other line, but not on this one.

When I tested today I think I saw an SNR of 15dB - I wasn't aware of
it's significance, so can't be sure, and can't say how much it varied -
but surely not 20dB or 25dB as you describe.

Stroller.