Skype phones - Do you need the pc left on to use ?

Old September 28th 05, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anorak

Default Skype phones - Do you need the pc left on to use ?

As subject ??

Old September 28th 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Anorak" wrote in message

As subject ??

Yes. Skype uses a proprietary protocol that doesn't work with ATA's or IP
phones.

Ivor

Old September 28th 05, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Blessing

"Anorak" wrote in message ...
As subject ??

Yes

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.outlook-find-replace.com - Find & Replace in Emails, Contacts,
Appointments, Tasks and Notes

Old September 28th 05, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Anorak" wrote in message ...
As subject ??

if you turn the pc off, does the fone still work?

;-)

P.

Old September 28th 05, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"PJB" wrote in message ...

"Anorak" wrote in message
As subject ??

if you turn the pc off, does the fone still work?

;-)

P.

Of course not - you need an IP phone for that.

Old September 28th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

"PJB" wrote in message

"Anorak" wrote in message
As subject ??

if you turn the pc off, does the fone still work?

;-)

P.

Of course not - you need an IP phone for that.

I have a Zoom X5V router with built in IP telephony. You don't need the PC
on to make calls with this.

Old September 28th 05, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anorak

"PJB" wrote in message

"Anorak" wrote in message
As subject ??

if you turn the pc off, does the fone still work?

;-)

P.

Of course not - you need an IP phone for that.

How much are these then ? Do they work with Skype ?

Old September 28th 05, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Anorak" wrote in message

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in
message

"PJB" wrote in message

"Anorak" wrote in message
As subject ??

if you turn the pc off, does the fone still work?

;-)

P.

Of course not - you need an IP phone for that.

How much are these then ? Do they work with Skype ?

Prices vary, how much do you want to pay..? But no, they don't work with
Skype. Skype use a proprietary protocol that isn't compatible with
anything else.

Your PC will have to remain on if you *must* use Skype. Don't get me
wrong, Skype is perfectly ok for what it is, but it isn't a replacement
for a phone.

Ivor

Old September 28th 05, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

huLLy wrote:
[...]
I have a Zoom X5V router with built in IP telephony. You don't need
the PC on to make calls with this.

You will still need the PC if you intend to use Skype as they don't
support open standards and so your router won't be able to make use of
it.

--
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink.
- W.C. Fields
Old September 28th 05, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

"Peter" wrote in message
huLLy wrote:
[...]
I have a Zoom X5V router with built in IP telephony. You don't need
the PC on to make calls with this.

You will still need the PC if you intend to use Skype as they don't
support open standards and so your router won't be able to make use of
it.

For Skype, true. The Router comes with Global Village IP membership, the pc
does not need to be on to make VOIP calls through this. Any VOIP number may
be called free with the basic membership, however the 1p/min to lots of
countries is attractive to ring landlines and mobiles abroad.