Can I configure an Alcatel Speed Touch 510 router as a switch for use with a cable modem connection

Old September 27th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

Default Can I configure an Alcatel Speed Touch 510 router as a switch for use with a cable modem connection

I have just sent my brother my old Alcatel Speed Touch 510 router, but
have now found that he has a cable modem and not standard ADSL. Does
anyone know if he can configure this speed touch router as a
switch/hub for use with his cable modem, or does he need to go out and
buy a new switch/hub?

Old September 28th 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Moans

Turn off DCHP or DHCP never remember correct name and hey presto you have
a switch/hub

oups.com...

Old September 28th 05, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Andy wrote:
I have just sent my brother my old Alcatel Speed Touch 510 router, but
have now found that he has a cable modem and not standard ADSL. Does
anyone know if he can configure this speed touch router as a
switch/hub for use with his cable modem, or does he need to go out and
buy a new switch/hub?

If he is with NTL you still need a router (sometimes known as a
Broadband Router), not a switch or a hub.

NTL only supply one ISP & even if your CM can be configured to be a DHCP
server, they cripple that with the firmware they install.