Tiscali overcharging for superseded services

Old September 28th 05, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Tiscali overcharging for superseded services

I signed up with Tiscali at the start of 2004 to their 156k free
connection and modem package offer. Later in June 2004, I upgraded to
the 512k unlimited connection at 24.99.

The start of 2005 saw Tiscali drop their prices for the 512k connection
to 17.99 and provide a 1Mb unlimited connection at 24.99 (the price
i was paying for 512k).

I would have expected to either be automatically upgraded to the 1Mb
connection, or have my monthly charges dropped to 17.99, but neither
happened. I was being charged for 1Mb connection but only getting 512k
connection.

Again, Tiscali have reduced the price of their fastest internet
connection from 24.99 to 17.99 for an increased connection speed
from 1Mb to 2Mb, but i have still been charged 24.99 for a 1Mb
connection and this has continued for several months.

This is probably a clever trick by Tiscali and maybe others to allow
them to continue charging existing customers at premium rates for
services that have been superceded. Surely OFCOM or some other
organisation is aware of this little loop hole, maybe they need to be
informed!

Old September 28th 05, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

wrote:
[...]

No it's called promotion, to get new customers in & is done by many
businesses, where they offer preverential rates to get new customers
whilst the rest get left in the dark

Old September 28th 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Win

wrote in message
ups.com...
I signed up with Tiscali at the start of 2004 to their 156k free
connection and modem package offer. Later in June 2004, I upgraded to
the 512k unlimited connection at 24.99.

The start of 2005 saw Tiscali drop their prices for the 512k connection
to 17.99 and provide a 1Mb unlimited connection at 24.99 (the price
i was paying for 512k).

I would have expected to either be automatically upgraded to the 1Mb
connection, or have my monthly charges dropped to 17.99, but neither
happened. I was being charged for 1Mb connection but only getting 512k
connection.

Again, Tiscali have reduced the price of their fastest internet
connection from 24.99 to 17.99 for an increased connection speed
from 1Mb to 2Mb, but i have still been charged 24.99 for a 1Mb
connection and this has continued for several months.

----------------

I know it's not documented very well, but had you have gone into your
account regularly, you could have changed to the cheaper option. I have
moved many times to the cheapest and best deal.

Old September 29th 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike K

On 28 Sep 2005 12:25:46 -0700, wrote:

I signed up with Tiscali at the start of 2004 to their 156k free
connection and modem package offer. Later in June 2004, I upgraded to
the 512k unlimited connection at 24.99.

I would not defend Tiscali in any way regarding this, but have you
tried to do the upgrade yourself? It can be done at:

https://www.tiscali.co.uk/members/my...e/upgrade.html

If you are still not upgraded after a couple of days then you should
try raising it in the Tiscali Forum at:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/forums/foru...prune=30&f=215

Don't even bother trying to Email them, it will in all probability be
a futile exercise!

Since you've been with them since 2004 you are well out of your 12
month contract and should be able to migrate to another ISP when they
finally introduce it --- allegedly around end of October.

Use something such as:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp

and

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/ce...&category_id=1

to inform your choice. The forums/message boards on these sites are
also useful to check out ISPs before you sign up with them.

Remember, the cheapest does not always represent the best value and in
the long run you only get what you pay for.

At the moment I'm seriously considering Metronet, Zen Internet or
Freedom2Surf when migration is finally available.

This is probably a clever trick by Tiscali and maybe others to allow
them to continue charging existing customers at premium rates for
services that have been superceded. Surely OFCOM or some other
organisation is aware of this little loop hole, maybe they need to be
informed!

I tried complaining to OTELO and it was a total waste of time! :-(

HTH

MikeK
Old September 29th 05, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:11:49 +0100, Mike K wrote:

Remember, the cheapest does not always represent the best value and in
the long run you only get what you pay for.

At the moment I'm seriously considering Metronet, Zen Internet or
Freedom2Surf when migration is finally available.

I cant say I blame you, I had the misfortune to be using someones Tiscali
connection over the weekend and downloads on a connection which was syncing
at 2megabits/sec were peaking at 30 kilobytes/sec.

greg

--
"Access to a waiting list is not access to health care"
Old September 29th 05, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith

"Kraftee" please we're bristish.com wrote
in message ...
wrote:
[...]

The offers are available to existing customers, they just don't tell them.
I upgraded to 1mb, and 2 days later upgraded again to get it 1/month
cheaper because I happened to notice a cheaper deal.

Bob

Old September 29th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Greg Hennessy wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:11:49 +0100, Mike K wrote:

Remember, the cheapest does not always represent the best value and
in the long run you only get what you pay for.

At the moment I'm seriously considering Metronet, Zen Internet or
Freedom2Surf when migration is finally available.

I cant say I blame you, I had the misfortune to be using someones
Tiscali connection over the weekend and downloads on a connection
which was syncing at 2megabits/sec were peaking at 30 kilobytes/sec.

Yes the download speed does look dire, but what service level were they
actually paying for? Tiscalli provide most (where possible) of their
services via a 2Mb datastream connection, turning the speed down at
their end to the level which the end user is paying for. So yes you
would see a 2Mb connection but as to the actual speed only your
associate can tell you..

Old September 29th 05, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:14:33 +0100, "Kraftee"
please we're bristish.com wrote:

Yes the download speed does look dire, but what service level were they
actually paying for? Tiscalli provide most (where possible) of their
services via a 2Mb datastream connection, turning the speed down at
their end to the level which the end user is paying for. So yes you
would see a 2Mb connection but as to the actual speed only your
associate can tell you..

The service doesnt even come close to the 512 kb/sec it was originally
installed as.

greg

--
"Access to a waiting list is not access to health care"