Belkin Wireless Router PSU failures

Old September 29th 05, 01:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
McSpreader

Default Belkin Wireless Router PSU failures

For the second time in the last few weeks I've been called in to fix
a failed Belkin wireless ADSL router. In both cases the power supply
unit (12v @ 1.25A integrated into the mains power plug) had stopped
working for no evident reason. [This PSU is probably limited to the
UK and maybe Ireland, because of the territory-specific integrated
mains plug.]

Symptoms are no networking functionality ata all and no LEDs showing
on the router front panel.

I wonder if this is a design or manufacturing quality issue that may
affect others... has anyone else experienced similar problems?
Old September 29th 05, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:43:08 GMT, McSpreader
wrote:

For the second time in the last few weeks I've been called in to fix
a failed Belkin wireless ADSL router. In both cases the power supply
unit (12v @ 1.25A integrated into the mains power plug) had stopped
working for no evident reason. [This PSU is probably limited to the
UK and maybe Ireland, because of the territory-specific integrated
mains plug.]

Symptoms are no networking functionality ata all and no LEDs showing
on the router front panel.

I wonder if this is a design or manufacturing quality issue that may
affect others... has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Yep, mine went exactly the same way around 2 weeks ago... I am now
using a 12v 900mA psu from an old unused 3Com access point on it...

Did not want to go down the warranty route as Belkin demand the whole
lot be sent in which would have put me back on an a USB modem albeit
temporarily. Not worth the hassle!
--

Shevek

iTunesRegistry.com: 4,199 tracks, 2.968 diversity
http://www.itunesregistry.com/ reports/reports.php?showuser=2 011

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r =31493

Get Firefox!
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/? q=affiliates&id=8681&t=1
Old September 29th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Holdford

Odd!!! Mine went last week. Have emailed Belkin and one should be in the
post right now.

Lets see what they send me. Just the power supply or the whole thing.

Best regards

Bob

Old September 29th 05, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
McSpreader

The two instances I've seen were identical circumstances - psu died
quietly in the night (no flowers, send donations to PSU Stress
Relief Fund please :-). I replaced it and the router started
working again, no loss of settings. And it sounds like Belkin are
used to this, so it could well be a systemic problem. I doubt
you'll get a full replacement router, but pls let us know if you
do!

"Robert Holdford" wrote in
:

Old September 30th 05, 07:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward W. Thompson

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:38:18 GMT, "Robert Holdford"
wrote:

Odd!!! Mine went last week. Have emailed Belkin and one should be in the
post right now.

Lets see what they send me. Just the power supply or the whole thing.

Best regards

Bob

.. .
wrote:

[...]

It will be interesting to see how Belkin deal with this. My
experience with a similar situation with 3Com is not encouraging.
Despite letters and telephone conversations the 'system' required both
the PSU and Wireless Router to be returned before it would recognize a
replacement PSU was required. Eventually some kind person at 3Com
managed to overcome the system but it took time and perserverance.

A new PSU could be obtained from a supplier for 9.00 which likely was
a fraction of the cost in time spent by 3Com in trying to overcome the
built in programming of their system.

Old October 1st 05, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 29 Sep 2005 07:42, Shevek wrote:

On 28 Sep 2005 23:43 GMT, McSpreader wrote:

For the second time in the last few weeks I've been called in to fix
a failed Belkin wireless ADSL router. In both cases the power supply
unit (12v @ 1.25A integrated into the mains power plug) had stopped

I wonder if this is a design or manufacturing quality issue that may
affect others... has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Yep, mine went exactly the same way around 2 weeks ago... I am now
using a 12v 900mA psu from an old unused 3Com access point on it...

Just out of interest, were all these "recent" purchases ? I only ask
as a friend in Chester has been using his Belkin for ~ 15 months with
no problems to date... Assuming these are recent units, perhaps they
have gone to some other supplier and will soon see the error of their
ways, if cheaper units are leading to them being unreliable... Peter.

Old October 1st 05, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 23:50:05 +0100, poster
wrote:

[...]

nope, mine was bought August 2004 with probably 24/7 uptime since then

Old October 1st 05, 01:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
McSpreader

poster wrote in
. net:

[...]

In both cases I've seen the routers were 12-18 months old.

BTW: In the interests of scientific research I smashed my way into
one of the failed PSUs.
- Distinctive acrid smell of burned components.
- One blown electrolytic capacitor - bulging end plate.
- An area of the PCB around a resistor and diode showing
discoloration from overheating.

There has been a problem with early failure of electrolytic
capacitors, with the same bulging end plate symptom, that affected
several brands of motherboards.
Old October 1st 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scrote

McSpreader wrote:
For the second time in the last few weeks I've been called in to fix
a failed Belkin wireless ADSL router. In both cases the power supply
unit (12v @ 1.25A integrated into the mains power plug) had stopped
working for no evident reason. [This PSU is probably limited to the
UK and maybe Ireland, because of the territory-specific integrated
mains plug.]

Symptoms are no networking functionality ata all and no LEDs showing
on the router front panel.

I wonder if this is a design or manufacturing quality issue that may
affect others... has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Yep, had that on a 4230, twice! Fault was actually on the router...got a
replacement (later model router) under the lifetime guarantee.

HTH

--
HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914