Connecting Speed Trouble HELP

Old September 29th 05, 05:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Privacy

Default Connecting Speed Trouble HELP

Hope some one can help.

I am using a 3com 3CRWE754G72-A Router

BUT a problem has recently occurred.
When I connect to the Net through my router PROBLEMS occur
The pages will not display,
The download speed is approx. 4k
I cannot collect mail as the speed does not get above 20cps

BUT

If I pull the power off the 3com for an hour or so, everything is OK
pages & D/loads etc.
for approx. 15-30 mins, then my problems above return.

Checked with Comm,s but speed was 2mb on line supplied ?

PLEASE can someone help me.

Cheers

Pete

--
Pete
54 FLHRCI
Old September 29th 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Privacy wrote:

Hope some one can help.

I am using a 3com 3CRWE754G72-A Router

BUT a problem has recently occurred.
When I connect to the Net through my router PROBLEMS occur
The pages will not display,
The download speed is approx. 4k
I cannot collect mail as the speed does not get above 20cps

BUT

If I pull the power off the 3com for an hour or so, everything is OK
pages & D/loads etc.
for approx. 15-30 mins, then my problems above return.

Checked with Comm,s but speed was 2mb on line supplied ?

PLEASE can someone help me.

Cheers

Pete

I've got the same router with exactly the same problem! It started playing
up when my line was upgraded from 512k to 1M - but the inherent weakness was
almost certainly there all along.

When you first turn it on cold, log on to the status page and look at the
noise margin and CRC error count. If it's like mine, you will have a good
noise margin - probably over 20dB and virtually no errors. Then, as it warms
up, the noise margin will plummet and the errors will go through the roof -
and the effective throughput will become pedestrian.

I sent mine back to 3Com, and they replaced it - but the new one was exactly
the same!

Then I read somewhere about the possible effects of noisy power supplies. [I
didn't send the power supply to 3Com for replacement - only the router -
because I had checked its output voltage, and it seemed ok!]

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I tried powering my router with a
universal power supply (regulated transformer/rectifier type) which was
lying around in my 'bits' drawer instead of the switch-mode jobby supplied
by 3Com - and it worked perfectly, and has done so ever since. I suppose I
had ought the bung the power supply back at 3Com - but it's too much hassle,
and I'm not optimistic about the result!

If you can find an alternative power supply for your router, it may well fix
your problem. You could even power it from a 12v battery to test the theory.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old October 11th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Privacy

Cheers Tim

Been in touch with 3com they are sending another power supply
see if that cures it.

Thanks
Pete

I've got the same router with exactly the same problem! It started playing
up when my line was upgraded from 512k to 1M - but the inherent weakness was
almost certainly there all along.

--
Peter Glover
54 FLHRCI
Old October 11th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Privacy wrote:

Cheers Tim

Been in touch with 3com they are sending another power supply
see if that cures it.

Please let us know the outcome. Mine's still running on a 3rd party power
supply - I can't face the hassle of dealing with 3Com again!
--
Cheers,
Tim