PlusNet Sustainable Usage Guide - Real Maximum Speeds

Old September 29th 05, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

Default PlusNet Sustainable Usage Guide - Real Maximum Speeds

OK, Plusnet have now published the guidelines:

http://www.plus.net/support/features...ge_guide.shtml

I thought I'd do a little calculation to work out how to throttle
Azureus during peak hours and this is what I got:

Peak Time - 30 Gb per month between 4 and 12

30 Gb per month = 0.99 Gb per day (based on 12 months / 365 days)
so maxed out over the 8 hours gives you just 36 Kbps to play with.

So I thought I'd see what the remaining 70 Gb per month over the
remaining 16 hours per day works out at - 42 Kbps not much more!

And 100 Gb over 24 hours a day works out at 40 Kbps

This stinks! PlusNet users are basically limited to less than 1/7 of
our connection speed.

Damn, I jumped the Pipex boat at the wrong time to the wrong island.

Hmmm. How much do PlusNet charge to migrate out in the first 12
months...?

--

Shevek

iTunesRegistry.com: 4,199 tracks, 2.968 diversity
http://www.itunesregistry.com/ reports/reports.php?showuser=2 011

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r =31493

Get Firefox!
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/? q=affiliates&id=8681&t=1

Old September 29th 05, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

14.99

Well thats what i paid anyway!

oups.com...

Old September 29th 05, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Shevek" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, Plusnet have now published the guidelines:

http://www.plus.net/support/features...ge_guide.shtml

I thought I'd do a little calculation to work out how to throttle
Azureus during peak hours and this is what I got:

Peak Time - 30 Gb per month between 4 and 12

30 Gb per month = 0.99 Gb per day (based on 12 months / 365 days)
so maxed out over the 8 hours gives you just 36 Kbps to play with.

So I thought I'd see what the remaining 70 Gb per month over the
remaining 16 hours per day works out at - 42 Kbps not much more!

And 100 Gb over 24 hours a day works out at 40 Kbps

This stinks! PlusNet users are basically limited to less than 1/7 of
our connection speed.

Damn, I jumped the Pipex boat at the wrong time to the wrong island.

Hmmm. How much do PlusNet charge to migrate out in the first 12
months...?

So do you really download 100Gb per month that it will reflect on your
service?

Old September 29th 05, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

"Shevek" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Are Plus.net saying you can't download over 30GB of peak traffic during a
month?

Old September 29th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Shevek" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Shevek,

Your calculations may be correct (I haven't checked) but you based your
whole argument on 24 hrs, 7 day a week constant usage. That's not how a
typical consumer uses the Internet.

A non commercial user doesn't download 24/7 even if they do use peer to
peer. We don't all have to use peer to peer 24/7, perhaps a couple of nights
a week each week would be enough. A couple of hours browsing per evening and
downloading your email shouldn't need more than say 30GB a month total.
Remember this is a shared service. How you use your connection impacts on
others.

If you need to peer to peer or download 24/7 then fine there isn't a problem
with that but you need a comercial contract. Try it on Plusnet and you will
get speed capped. Seems fair to me.

Andy

Old September 29th 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:29:18 +0100, "Gareth :-\\\) voom"
wrote:

"Shevek" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Basically yes - if you do more than that a few times in a few months
you'll get bandwidth limits on p2p and Usenet

Old September 29th 05, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:38:58 +0100, x wrote:

Shevek,

Your calculations may be correct (I haven't checked) but you based your
whole argument on 24 hrs, 7 day a week constant usage. That's not how a
typical consumer uses the Internet.

A non commercial user doesn't download 24/7 even if they do use peer to
peer. We don't all have to use peer to peer 24/7, perhaps a couple of nights
a week each week would be enough. A couple of hours browsing per evening and
downloading your email shouldn't need more than say 30GB a month total.
Remember this is a shared service. How you use your connection impacts on
others.

If you need to peer to peer or download 24/7 then fine there isn't a problem
with that but you need a comercial contract. Try it on Plusnet and you will
get speed capped. Seems fair to me.

That's fine and I can't disagree with what you say.

However, I signed up for an unlimited, uncapped service. That is not
what I am getting.

Old September 29th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Shevek" wrote in message

That's fine and I can't disagree with what you say.

However, I signed up for an unlimited, uncapped service. That is not
what I am getting.

You would be hard pushed to find an isp without a limit nowadays. You are
unlikely to use that limit 24 hours a day 7 days a week, so I am not sure
what the problem is.

Old September 29th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Real Ale

Are Plus.net saying you can't download over 30GB of peak traffic during a
month?

Basically yes - if you do more than that a few times in a few months
you'll get bandwidth limits on p2p and Usenet

.... we are already getting 'prioritised', couldn't get much slower at peak times.

Chris

Old September 30th 05, 01:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

x wrote:

"Shevek" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

So I assume you are a POTS management trying to impose on internet
users how internet is used.
Try tuning into the 10,000+ internet stations and your caps
are ****ed. What Shevek is trying to tell you is that
MinusNet's internet is run by POTS management
because they have keyhole bandwidth leaving their buildings
and gets ****ed by the same internet that everyone else
use happily.

A non commercial user doesn't download 24/7 even

Oh ****ing hell. Look go back into the cave you crawled out from.
You never heard of 24/7 P2P?