moving to a different exchange?

Old September 29th 05, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

Default moving to a different exchange?

My ADSL service is currently on an 020 8809 exchange and the BT checker
says speed is:-

"1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed. However due to the length of
your line the 1Mbps service may require.."

I have an other line on 020 8802 and that shows a max speed of 2Mb
without any conditions.

So I presumed the 8802 exchange is much nearer.

Unfortunately the 8802 number has auxiliary lines so cannot be used for
ADSL.

On checking with BT Exchanges
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/phoneno.php both numbers come from
the same exchange!

Is there anything I can do to get the 8809 number upgraded to 2MB?
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Old September 29th 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:45:34 +0100, Les Desser
wrote:

Is there anything I can do to get the 8809 number upgraded to 2MB?

do you have Bulldog / UKOnline / Be on that exchange ? they'll get you
more than 1M.

Otherwise get the 1M service and then look at the attenuation
statistics to see if an upgrade may be possible.

Or try someone like Pipex that habitually order the wrong thing, you
may be lucky ;-)

Phil

Old September 30th 05, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Phil Thompson
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:25:25 writes

wrote:

Is there anything I can do to get the 8809 number upgraded to 2MB?

do you have Bulldog / UKOnline / Be on that exchange ? they'll get you
more than 1M.

Otherwise get the 1M service and then look at the attenuation
statistics to see if an upgrade may be possible.

Or try someone like Pipex that habitually order the wrong thing, you
may be lucky ;-)

I was thinking more on the lines of getting BT to fix something. Why
should two lines coming from the same exchange have different levels of
service.
Old September 30th 05, 01:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:33:32 +0100, Les Desser
wrote:

I was thinking more on the lines of getting BT to fix something. Why
should two lines coming from the same exchange have different levels of
service.

because they're made of different stuff, or thicker stuff, or go a
different way, or have more joints.

or the checker just thinks they're different and they aren't really.

BT aren't interested in rewiring for better ADSL service unless
there's a clear "fault".

Phil

Old September 30th 05, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

wrote:

Is there anything I can do to get the 8809 number upgraded to 2MB?

do you have Bulldog / UKOnline / Be on that exchange ? they'll get you
more than 1M.

Otherwise get the 1M service and then look at the attenuation
statistics to see if an upgrade may be possible.

Or try someone like Pipex that habitually order the wrong thing, you
may be lucky ;-)

I was thinking more on the lines of getting BT to fix something. Why
should two lines coming from the same exchange have different levels of
service.

One line may not be as good a quality as the other, or even though they are
the same exchange they may take a different route from your house to the
exchange so the route might be longer.

Old September 30th 05, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Beck
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:15:38 writes

One line may not be as good a quality as the other, or even though they
are the same exchange they may take a different route from your house
to the exchange so the route might be longer.

Thanks to you and Phil.

I presume the same argument would apply to me ordering an other line in
the hope that it supports 2Mb
Old September 30th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:09:59 +0100, Les Desser
wrote:

I presume the same argument would apply to me ordering an other line in
the hope that it supports 2Mb

yes, luck of the draw to some extent. That's why its usually easiest
to get ADSL on the line and find out what the real attenuation is,
then you can judge what to do next.

Phil

Old September 30th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
davek

Phil Thompson wrote:
yes, luck of the draw to some extent. That's why its usually easiest
to get ADSL on the line and find out what the real attenuation is,
then you can judge what to do next.

As I'm having the same problem as the OP (see other thread on DECT &
ADSL), and I'm not really all that knowledgeable about these things,
could you please tell me how I'd do this.

I presume the information would be shown somewhere in the utilities for
my BT Voyager wireless router, yes? What should I be looking for?

ta,

d.

Old September 30th 05, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 30 Sep 2005 10:21:51 -0700, "davek"
wrote:

I presume the information would be shown somewhere in the utilities for
my BT Voyager wireless router, yes? What should I be looking for?

double click the systray icon then Ctrl/F1

may need current firmware / drivers from voyager.bt.com

more info at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm (scroll down)

Phil

Old October 1st 05, 01:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Les Desser" wrote in message
news
In article , Beck
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:15:38 writes

One line may not be as good a quality as the other, or even though they
are the same exchange they may take a different route from your house to
the exchange so the route might be longer.

Thanks to you and Phil.

I presume the same argument would apply to me ordering an other line in
the hope that it supports 2Mb

Yep pretty much so. Unfortunately you will not be able to tell beforehand
whether it is suitable.