Plusnet Slow web browsing MTU change!

Old September 30th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mmmmm

Default Plusnet Slow web browsing MTU change!

Hoping someone can help here.
Been through the mill with Plusnet support.
Plusnet support looking to get BT to check my line which may cost me 46ukp +
vat.
Problem:
Really really slow connections to web sites especially USA web sites like
msnbc.com or ebay.co.uk.

MTU and RWin were set to default initially.

Since changing MTU to 576 my web browsing speed has increased immensely.
RWIN is at 55600.

But Plusnet and other websites that do mtu rwin tests are stating that a
higher setting would be better. Problem is that a higher setting completey
wrecks my browsing. I have to click on the link and then a split second
later click on the link again for the web page to display if it displays at
all, other pages just time out.

I am going through a wireless browser and anytime I change MTU setting I do
it at the router and at my PC using DRTCP.

I did an etherreal trace when my MTU was higher and got messages saying
things like fragmented packet, this is the initial reason I dropped my MTU
to 576, to try and stop these fragmented errors.

Has anyone got any ideas.

Old September 30th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:36:41 +0100, "mmmmm"
wrote:

Since changing MTU to 576 my web browsing speed has increased immensely.
RWIN is at 55600.

a bigger RWIN may help. By making MTU smaller you make the RWIN equal
to more packets = more time, ideal for US traffic. Doubling RWIN or
more could have the same effect - try 250,000

Phil

Old October 1st 05, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:00:52 +0100, Alex Crosby
wrote:

Secondly, what results do you get if you set the MTU on the router to
1500 and your PC to 1430 (or less)? You should not change the MTU on the
router to anything lower than 1500 - do any necessary changes on the PC.

Could you please explain this more? I have always read that MTU should
be the same on the router and PCs.

TIA

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old October 1st 05, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 04:12:29 +0100, Alex Crosby
wrote:

It's not necessarily a bad thing that they're both the same, however, if
you've got other PCs on the network that have the windows default MTU
set the router will have to fragment those packets as its MTU is lower
than on the client PCs.

It's okay, I've changed the MTU on all PC's on the LAN.

I'll save myself some work next time and do it 'your' way g.

Thanks.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old October 1st 05, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wiraone

Wondering why you need to play around with MTUs, I'm on PlusNet and I've
been using the default setup on my DG834GT and the rest of the PCs (2
Linux machines and 2 Windows).. I've no problem with the speed on any of
them.
Old October 1st 05, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nicknick

Plusnet is not even sending my replies to this group. Gawd I hate
Plusnet!

Anyway back to the issue at hand.

My router will not go above 1492 in manual mode. I type 1500 and it did
not like it!

The etherreal fragmentation message is an ICMP message and it seems to
have a send address of my router and a dest address of my PC! Here's a
bit of the capture.

"11", "0.741116", "192.168.1.65", "signin.ebay.co.uk", "SSLv3",
"Application Data, [Unreassembled Packet]"
"12", "0.741466", "192.168.1.65", "signin.ebay.co.uk", "SSLv3",
"Continuation Data, [Unreassembled Packet]"
"13", "0.759121", "192.168.1.1", "192.168.1.65", "ICMP", "Destination
unreachable (Fragmentation needed)"
"14", "0.936166", "signin.ebay.co.uk", "192.168.1.65", "TCP", "[TCP Dup
ACK 9#1] https 3817 [ACK] Seq=1140 Ack=283 Win=17040 Len=0
TSV=52664172 TSER=47727"

So if I reduce my MTU on the home computers to below 1492 but leave the
router on Auto or even manual @ 1492, should I see a speed increase?

Thanks.

Old October 1st 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nicknick

Sorry m8. You have gone completely over my head there!

Old October 1st 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mmmmm (alias : nicknick)

haha. Found the problem maybe. Testing over the week will tell. Got my
brothers adsl router on loan, plugged it in, set it up but mtu 1458 and
blanked out all my mtu's / rwin's etc and set them to exactly what
bro's laptop had. Will my computer flew through the internet on his
Netgear 834G router.

So I reset my WAG54GV2 and then set the MTU to 1458, I got a good
response, but some pages like MSNBC and signin page of Ebay were
really slow. So i talked to Linksys and the liv chat guy said for me to
reduce MTU to 1400. This seems to have worked really well. The pics in
Ebay don't come up slow anymore. MSNBC is still kinda slow but BBC is
lightning fast.

Thank gawd for that!

Thnaks for your help people.