Which wireless router/modem?

Old October 1st 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Rodgers

Default Which wireless router/modem?

Hey all,

Going to bin the 3com - but what do I replace it with? I want something I
can get pretty fast - either instock at a retailer with next day delivery,
or.... shudder.... reasonably priced from PC World.

I've got a naff line and I'm 6km from the exchange so something with a
reputation for rock solid reliability would be a plus point. It needs to be
a wireless access point/router/ADSL modem all in one, UNLESS... somebody can
recommend a standalone modem I can plug into my existing 3com wireless
router/modem.

So, any recommendations chaps?

Much appreciated.

Old October 1st 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Chadfield

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Michael Rodgers wrote:
Going to bin the 3com - but what do I replace it with? I want something I
can get pretty fast - either instock at a retailer with next day delivery,
or.... shudder.... reasonably priced from PC World.

I've got a naff line and I'm 6km from the exchange so something with a
reputation for rock solid reliability would be a plus point. It needs to be
a wireless access point/router/ADSL modem all in one, UNLESS... somebody can
recommend a standalone modem I can plug into my existing 3com wireless
router/modem.

So, any recommendations chaps?

I bought one of these from here this week:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/produ...?pr=VIGOR2600G

Seems quality kit and was delivered next morning following a 3pm order.

--
Stephen Chadfield
http://www.chadfield.com/
Old October 1st 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Liam

So, any recommendations chaps?

I bought one of these from here this week:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/produ...?pr=VIGOR2600G

Seems quality kit and was delivered next morning following a 3pm order.

--
Stephen Chadfield
http://www.chadfield.com/

Definitely seconded. As far as consumer all-in-ones go, you can't get
better. They are used commercially too, such is their good reputation.

Very reliable, stays up for hundreds of hours without needing a reboot,
loaded with features (VPN, VLAN, QoS, keyword content filter, time
scheduling for restrictions, dynamic DNS support, Radius support, port
forwarding, DMZ etc. ) and with the right firmware the wireless is totally
reliable. I have had 7 wireless clients on this one simultaneously and it
didn't as much as burp.

It is in a completely different class to the rubbish from 3Com, but then you
get what you pay for; the Draytek is nearly 3 times the price of the 3Com
but worth it.

HTH

Liam

Old October 2nd 05, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

If you 6km from exchange then I would recommend Draytek 2600G, or better
still 2600VG which will in the long run save some money with free or cheap
VoIP calls.
It's 'office class' kit and not cheap, but it has all the facilities and
just works, haven' touched mine for 2.5 years except to update the firmware
for dual VoIP registrars.

Alternative you could just get D-Link T300 modem for ~£30 from PC World and
try it with your 3Com router. If it doesn't work you can return within 14
days it to PC World, just say your line can't run ADSL after all...
Regards,
Martin

Old October 2nd 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
"Michael Rodgers" wrote:

I've got a naff line and I'm 6km from the exchange so something with a
reputation for rock solid reliability would be a plus point. It needs to be
a wireless access point/router/ADSL modem all in one, UNLESS... somebody can
recommend a standalone modem I can plug into my existing 3com wireless
router/modem.

Have a look at the Zyxel 660HW as well, cheaper than the Drayteks, but
arguably one of the better regarded routers out there.

cheers,
Paul