Plustalk

Old October 1st 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Default Plustalk

Looking at signing up this service however I'm still using an ADSL PCI
modem. Can somebody reccomend a router with built in VOIP capabilites? Also,
I have three normal phones in the house. 2 upstairs and one downstairs. How
would I go about connecting these?

Thankyou

Dan

Old October 2nd 05, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Dan" wrote in message

Looking at signing up this service however I'm still
using an ADSL PCI modem. Can somebody reccomend a router
with built in VOIP capabilites? Also, I have three normal
phones in the house. 2 upstairs and one downstairs. How
would I go about connecting these?
Thankyou

Dan

I've been reviewing the AVM Fritz!Box Fon which is a modem/router/ATA all
in one. It only has a single Ethernet port so an additional switch or hub
is necessary for more than one PC but these are cheap enough.

The device has QoS, a firewall, two independent analogue phone ports and
also a fixed line port, so you can set up dialling rules to route certain
numbers or prefixes on the fixed line or the VoIP lines as appropriate.
For example 999 calls are set by default to use the fixed line as most
VoIP services don't support emergency calls, but you can add rules to
route 0870 calls for example that way if you wish, as they tend to be more
expensive over VoIP.

To connect your existing extension wiring to the analogue ports would need
a little work but it's not impossible. I use a PABX but that's probably
overkill for most people. You'd need to wire the extension sockets up to
the RJ11-BT adaptor, but how you'd do that would depend on exactly how
your system is wired, which I obviously don't know at the moment..!

You can see more on the Fritz!Box Fon at www.avm.de/en

Ivor

Old October 2nd 05, 01:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Draytek Vigor 2500V, 2600V or 2600VG, excellent kit, but expensive.
Zyxel 2602HW also good, slightly cheaper, the HWL version has landline
pass-through.
Cheap ones: Zoom X5V, Speedtouch 816 - avoid Netgear.

Easiest way to have phones around the house is to plug a DECT phone(s) into
the VoIP port.
Regards,
Martin