Cannot access BT Efficient 5861 router login page from XP PC

Old October 1st 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
henner

Default Cannot access BT Efficient 5861 router login page from XP PC

Hi,

I can access my BT Efficient 5861 router login page using IP addres
192.168.254.254 from Internet Explorer when my Windows 2000 PC i
connected directly to it via an ethernet cable, and it connects to th
internet.

However, I cannot access the router login page from a PC runnin
Windows XP Home using Internet Explorer, typing the same IP address an
same ethernet cable to attach directly to it. It just won't connect t
the internet.

I've tried disabling the XP firewall and anti-virus software but thi
didn't make any difference.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Thank

--
henner
Old October 2nd 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

henner wrote:
Hi,

I can access my BT Efficient 5861 router login page using IP address
192.168.254.254 from Internet Explorer when my Windows 2000 PC is
connected directly to it via an ethernet cable, and it connects to the
internet.

However, I cannot access the router login page from a PC running
Windows XP Home using Internet Explorer, typing the same IP address
and same ethernet cable to attach directly to it. It just won't
connect to the internet.

I've tried disabling the XP firewall and anti-virus software but this
didn't make any difference.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Thanks

Try 192.168.1.1

Old October 2nd 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:11:22 +0100, "Adrian" wrote:

henner wrote:
Hi,

I can access my BT Efficient 5861 router login page using IP address
192.168.254.254 from Internet Explorer when my Windows 2000 PC is
connected directly to it via an ethernet cable, and it connects to the
internet.

However, I cannot access the router login page from a PC running
Windows XP Home using Internet Explorer, typing the same IP address
and same ethernet cable to attach directly to it. It just won't
connect to the internet.

I've tried disabling the XP firewall and anti-virus software but this
didn't make any difference.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Thanks

Try 192.168.1.1

go into command prompt and type ipconfig.. is it giving you an ip
address and a default gateway?

make sure under tcp/ip settings that you have the ip addresd and dns
servers set to automatic
Old October 2nd 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

"Adrian" wrote in message
henner wrote:

Try 192.168.1.1

No for the BT supplied routers it is http://192.168.254.254

Just make sure your XP pc's ip settings are set for automatic.

Phill.

Old October 2nd 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"henner" wrote in message

Hi,

I can access my BT Efficient 5861 router login page using IP address
192.168.254.254 from Internet Explorer when my Windows 2000 PC is
connected directly to it via an ethernet cable, and it connects to the
internet.

However, I cannot access the router login page from a PC running
Windows XP Home using Internet Explorer, typing the same IP address and
same ethernet cable to attach directly to it. It just won't connect to
the internet.

I've tried disabling the XP firewall and anti-virus software but this
didn't make any difference.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Thanks

You need to check that your XP is picking up the settings given to it by the
router.

Go to start menu, run, type cmd, in the box type ipconfig.

check the ip addresses are all in the same range, ie 192.168.254.xxx

If the ipadress is something like 169.254 etc it means that the xp machine
is unable to pick up the dhcp settings from the router.

If the ip address is 192.168.0.xxx for example, when the address for the
router is 192.168.254.xxx then it means the ip settings are been set
manually by xp, go to the network connection properties and set them to
automatic.

Gaz