What is a N3 network connection?

Old October 2nd 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Graham

Default What is a N3 network connection?

Has anyone been involved with providing N3 network connectivity?

It is apparently being rolled out throughout the NHS and I am particularly
interested to know how such a connection would be implemented in a small
scale users site, such as a Community Pharmacy.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 2nd 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Paul Cupis

Graham wrote:
Has anyone been involved with providing N3 network connectivity?

It is apparently being rolled out throughout the NHS and I am particularly
interested to know how such a connection would be implemented in a small
scale users site, such as a Community Pharmacy.

Is your questions answered by the information at
http://www.n3.nhs.uk/n3/aboutn3/ ?
Old October 2nd 05, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Graham

- Has anyone been involved with providing N3 network connectivity?

It is apparently being rolled out throughout the NHS and I am

particularly
interested to know how such a connection would be implemented in a small
scale users site, such as a Community Pharmacy.

Is your questions answered by the information at
http://www.n3.nhs.uk/n3/aboutn3/ ?

Thanks Paul,
I had in fact seen that site, it is heavy on concept, but lacking in actual
nuts and bolts.

For a start I want to know about the physical connection to a typical
Pharmacy, presumably an ADSL enabled phone line or CATV cable.

I had missed this bit the first time round though:

How will the N3 network connect with pharmacies?
The National Programme for IT is working with community pharmacy
organisations and pharmacy systems suppliers to determine the best way to
provide connectivity to community pharmacists. This connectivity will be
used to enable the electronic transmission of prescriptions and access to
other information. For more information on this work, contact [email.address
deleated]

I suppose that means they are still thinking about it.

I will email the address given and see what they send back

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 2nd 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Sunil Sood

"Graham" wrote in message ...
Has anyone been involved with providing N3 network connectivity?

It is apparently being rolled out throughout the NHS and I am particularly
interested to know how such a connection would be implemented in a small
scale users site, such as a Community Pharmacy.

Probably an ADSL line - assuming the pharmacy is on an enabled exchange.

Page 5 of the original press release that announced the contract had been
awarded to BT in February 2004
(http://www.connectingforhealth.nhs.u...ocs/190204.pdf)
included:

Increase in bandwidth
.. a typical GP practice will increase from 256Kilobits per second
current contract to between 512Kbps and 1Megabit per second
.. a typical acute hospital will increase from 2Mbps to 100Mbps
.. a typical community hospital and Primary Care Trust will increase to
10Mbps
.. bandwidth will be allocated by the number of devices on a handed GP will
receive less bandwidth than a multi-practice (which could be outside the
typical ranges cited above).

Regards
Sunil

Old October 2nd 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Nicola Redwood

"Graham" wrote in message ...

[...]

Have been somewhat involved in this myself as a project manager liaising
with BT for N3 installs.

The N3 team will look at how many users are on a site, how much work is
generated currently electronically and future projected uptake i.e
electronic prescribing, picture and archiving service, choose and book etc
and then schedule the install. BTW this has all been worked out well in
advance of the rollout programme.

A typical pharmacy, optician, small GP practice will get ADSL at the fastest
speed possible, larger organisations will get a leased fixed line. Wireless
AUP has only just been recently signed off. It isn't going to produce any
innovative new technology really.

It's is all being done to support the Government's modernisation agenda and
the Connecting for Health programme - the largest IT project undertaken.
The main point is that like NHSNet, it is centrally funded.

More info from here by doing a search for N3

http://www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/

A lot of info is only available if you have access to the NHSNet extranet.

I'm a bit cynical about it all really, as local infrastructure is pretty
poor in a lot of places in the NHS - old donated PC's, people logging into
PCs locally, little provision for storage, no regard for security . Half
the stuff proposed won't work on a lot of the PCs currently in use where I
have worked and the organisation have to cough up the money to upgrade -
money which they just don't have unless they cut services!

Nicola

Old October 4th 05, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Graham

Thanks for that Nicola,
After a hiatus of four years I am hoping (fingers crossed) to resume my
career in Pharmacy IT support.

I need to find out the impact of this NpfIT stuff.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 4th 05, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:30:13 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I had in fact seen that site, it is heavy on concept, but lacking in actual
nuts and bolts.

welcome to the public sector :-)

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old October 4th 05, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Nicola Redwood

"Graham" wrote in message ...

Thanks for that Nicola,
After a hiatus of four years I am hoping (fingers crossed) to resume my
career in Pharmacy IT support.

I need to find out the impact of this NpfIT stuff.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

The pharmacy / e-prescribing is a little way off yet. I know a lot of
primary care and community pharmacists and they are not seeing any impact in
terms of IT yet.

There might be a little more info on the PPA website

http://www.ppa.nhs.uk/index.htm

or the RPSGB website

http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/

Certainly in the NHS, Agenda for Change is having the biggest impact at the
moment and results have so far been really poor for IT staff in the NHS.

Keep up on developments (I've been unemployed for 3 months now) via the HSJ
website and E-Health Insider, http://www.e-health-insider.com/index.cfm and
Computing / Computer Weekly