Anyone recommend a 2mb provider?

Old October 2nd 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bowman

Default Anyone recommend a 2mb provider?

Lo all, I'm with Bulldog at present and it's time to start shopping around
for a cheaper deal on 2mb. Anyone got any recommendations?

Bowman

Old October 2nd 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anon

Bowman wrote:

it's time to start shopping around for a cheaper deal on 2mb.
Anyone got any recommendations?

Depends what you are after from the service, really!

Some offer no mailbox, no webspace, even no news feed (or
text only, as good as no news, from some viewpoints). Also
have you an upper budget in mind, and rough idea of how much
traffic you might want to use? Metronet does an account with
150 GB allowance each month, for under 28 quid, with Supernews
access, but it might not be what you are after/want because of
no webspace, or too costly, or limited traffic, or whatever!!

--
space available for some advert / link / ego-trip slogan :-
Old October 2nd 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Bowman says...
Lo all, I'm with Bulldog at present and it's time to start shopping around
for a cheaper deal on 2mb. Anyone got any recommendations?

Bowman

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=specialoffer2meg

FR
Old October 2nd 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anon

Flying Rat wrote:

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=specialoffer2meg

Thanks for that - useful for 2 friends of mine about to get ADSL.
Old October 2nd 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article [email protected] ews, anon
says...
Flying Rat wrote:

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=specialoffer2meg

Thanks for that - useful for 2 friends of mine about to get ADSL.

I plug them a lot as it's a solid service and the support is British
based and exceptional. They have been fighting a battle with BT for me
and finally got them to sort out a problem on their bit of the network
that they kept saying did not exist.

FR
Old October 2nd 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dicki Dido

Hi,Bowman I have been with Plusnet for eighteen months price has gone
down -always one of the cheapest,and there is no limit to downloads.I used
to be with Freeserve but left owing to poor service.Plusnet have excellent
customer relations,having rung them twice and the call was answered within a
couple of minutes,and problem was sorted virtually straight away.No
problems with disconnections and dropping lines,very reliable and
extremely helpful.I pay every month by direct debit,at the moment on 512
connection and expect to be upgraded to 2mb within the next few
weeks,which costs me 21.99,with no download limits.I myself downloaded
about 30gb last month with no charge.Get the MAC code from Bulldog,then
give Plusnet a ring.If you then refer anyone once set up you can benefit by
as much as 50p per referral per month

The Which report stated the following and I quote"The Plusnet package is a
BestBuy with a good download speed which have been really consistent over
the last quarter.Plusnet stood out in our satisfaction survey, performing
well in almost all areas, from ease of use to connection speed and customer
and technical support.""Plusnet also won best consumer ISP in 2004

If you choose to sign up with Plusnet,please use my ID- beechville96 as a
referrer and save me a few pence

Old October 2nd 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Newnham

Dicki Dido wrote:
Hi,Bowman I have been with Plusnet for eighteen months price has gone
down -always one of the cheapest,and there is no limit to downloads.

It is not true that there are no download limits on plus.net. A
sustainable usage policy applies, details of which are on their website:

http://www.plus.net/support/features...ge_guide.shtml

I do agree that the customer support reps are very helpful, though.

--
Phil

Old October 3rd 05, 03:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 02 Oct 2005 23:23, Phil Newnham wrote:

It is not true that there are no download limits on plus.net.

So what's the limit on Broadband Plus ? I'm tempted to try increasing
quantities each month (43 GB was highest to date) and see when they get
in touch to comment on the quantity of traffic... Peter M.

Old October 3rd 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Dicki Dido wrote:
Hi,Bowman I have been with Plusnet for eighteen months price has gone
down -always one of the cheapest,and there is no limit to downloads.I
used to be with Freeserve but left owing to poor service.Plusnet have
excellent customer relations,having rung them twice and the call was
answered within a couple of minutes,and problem was sorted
virtually straight away.No problems with disconnections and dropping
lines,very reliable and
extremely helpful.I pay every month by direct debit,at the moment on
512 connection and expect to be upgraded to 2mb within the next few
weeks,which costs me 21.99,with no download limits.I myself
downloaded about 30gb last month with no charge.Get the MAC code
from Bulldog,then give Plusnet a ring.If you then refer anyone once
set up you can benefit by as much as 50p per referral per month

Dicki, where have you been hidding recently?

Plusnet do have download limits on all their service levels, but seeing
as you think 30gb is a lot you should fit in with them. They also use
traffic shaping on various services, such as Usenet, P2P etc, at (what
they call) busy times.

So I'm afraid your attempt to get 50p knocked of your monthly bill is a
little unfounded, to say the least.

Wonder what you'll be saying if they upgrade your speed outside of specs
(as can happen) & your connection becomes as unsteady as a jelly
tower... That's right you may not be able to get 1Mb let alone 2Mb,
wonder what you be saying then...

Old October 3rd 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Inquisitor

"Kraftee" please we're bristish.com wrote
in message ...
Dicki Dido wrote:
[...]

Do NOT! touch bulldog , you will regret it should you have any problem
whatsoever and you to call/contact them.

****-up and brewery is a phrase that fits Bulldog well! they are a
nightmare!