Cannot access BT Efficient 5861 router login page from XP PC

Old October 2nd 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
henner

Default Cannot access BT Efficient 5861 router login page from XP PC

P H Wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
...-
henner wrote:

Try 192.168.1.1

-
No for the BT supplied routers it is
http://192.168.254.254

Just make sure your XP pc's ip settings are set for automatic.

Phill.

Thanks for trying to help guys. One thing I should have mentioned i
that I have a Static IP address on the Windows XP PC. The PC works fin
when using a Speed Touch USB modem but I can't get it to work with thi
5861 ethernet router. Under the TCP/IP settings I believe I need t
enter my Static IP address but I don't know what to put in the Subne
mask and Default Gateway boxes.

Regards,
Henne

--
henner
Old October 2nd 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:12:18 +0100,it is alleged that henner
spake thusly in
uk.telecom.broadband:

P H Wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
...-
henner wrote:

Try 192.168.1.1

-
No for the BT supplied routers it is
http://192.168.254.254

Just make sure your XP pc's ip settings are set for automatic.

Phill.

Thanks for trying to help guys. One thing I should have mentioned is
that I have a Static IP address on the Windows XP PC. The PC works fine
when using a Speed Touch USB modem but I can't get it to work with this
5861 ethernet router. Under the TCP/IP settings I believe I need to
enter my Static IP address but I don't know what to put in the Subnet
mask and Default Gateway boxes.

Regards,
Henner

If you're using a router, the PC will have to have an internal IP
address, (probably as mentioned, in the 192.168.x.x block.

If you have it hard configured for an external ip, the router will be
unreachable.

For what its worth (although I have a dynamic ip) my external IP is
82.something, the pc's settings are as follows:

IP address 192.168.1.240
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

As mentioned in the quoted post, the BT routers likely use a different
You should probably set the IP settings to dynamic, at least until you
can gain access to the router, and then check the settings from there.
The router probably has a place to put your static IP, but you can't
access it till you can get into the router itself.

--
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
- Ken Olson, President of DEC, 1977
Old October 2nd 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , henner
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:12:18 writes

I have a Static IP address on the Windows XP PC

Change it to automatic and all will be well - unless you have a very
good reason for having a fixed IP.

In any event, as others have told you, unless the first three parts of
your PC's IP and the that of the router are the same, they will not see
each other.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)