Starts good enough for 2Mb?

Old October 2nd 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

Default Starts good enough for 2Mb?

My DG834 shows

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 42 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 17-22 db 27 db

Should that get me a 2Mb service?
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Old October 2nd 05, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Les Desser wrote:
My DG834 shows

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 42 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 17-22 db 27 db

Should that get me a 2Mb service?

Yes.
Broadly speaking noise margin decreases by 6dB.
11dB is a stablish link.
Old October 2nd 05, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

My DG834 shows

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 42 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 17-22 db 27 db

Should that get me a 2Mb service?
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

Run your number through bt.com/broadband - that will tell you whether BT
Wholesale will accept a 2 meg order or not. The maximum your local
anntenuation can be for 2 meg with BT is 43db. (although there are
always exceptions). My own anntenuation is 40db. The BT checker said 6
months ago I could get 2meg - now it says I can get 512 - and maybe 1
meg - but NOT 2 meg. And I already have it. Very strange.

If the BT checker says you can't get 2 meg, ask your ISP to put through
a manual order - they may not do this however, because if you complain
of connection / disconnection problems and they escalate a fault to BT,
your ISP have to pick up the bill. You can understand why they might not
risk it.

George

Old October 3rd 05, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , George
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:48:54 writes

The maximum your local anntenuation can be for 2 meg with BT is 43db.

Thank you and to Ian for the responses.

I will give it a go.