Cannot access BT Efficient 5861 router login page from XP PC

Old October 2nd 05, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
henner

Default Cannot access BT Efficient 5861 router login page from XP PC

Gaz Wrote:
"henner" wrote in message
...-

Hi,

I can access my BT Efficient 5861 router login page using IP address
192.168.254.254 from Internet Explorer when my Windows 2000 PC is
connected directly to it via an ethernet cable, and it connects t
the
internet.

However, I cannot access the router login page from a PC running
Windows XP Home using Internet Explorer, typing the same IP addres
and
same ethernet cable to attach directly to it. It just won't connec
the internet.

I've tried disabling the XP firewall and anti-virus software but this
didn't make any difference.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Thanks
-

You need to check that your XP is picking up the settings given to i
by the
router.

Go to start menu, run, type cmd, in the box type ipconfig.

check the ip addresses are all in the same range, ie 192.168.254.xxx

If the ipadress is something like 169.254 etc it means that the x
machine
is unable to pick up the dhcp settings from the router.

If the ip address is 192.168.0.xxx for example, when the address fo
the
router is 192.168.254.xxx then it means the ip settings are been set
manually by xp, go to the network connection properties and set the
automatic.

Gaz

Hi Gaz,
Thanks for your reply.

I am getting IP address 169.254.207.157 when I type 'ipconfig'. Wha
should I do now? Do I need to get an ethernet router that is X
compatible

--
henner
Old October 3rd 05, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:32:06 +0100,it is alleged that henner
spake thusly in
uk.telecom.broadband:

Gaz Wrote:
"henner" wrote in message
...-

[snip]

I am getting IP address 169.254.207.157 when I type 'ipconfig'. What
should I do now? Do I need to get an ethernet router that is XP
compatible?

Change the settings of your XP computer to mirror those of your
win2000 one.

The 169.x.x.x IP address is windows way of saying "I can't find the
DHCP server". These are used for setting the IP address and other
information automagically, and routers *usually* do this, if not, you
will have to set them manually. Using the win2000 computer as a
guideline will be a good idea.

Don't set the IP address exactly the same, if the 'subnet mask' on the
win2000 computer is 255.255.255.0 *or* 255.255.0.0, you should be able
to set the IP by choosing a number where the first 3 blocks are the
same and the last one is off by one.

eg: If your 2000 computer is set to 192.168.1.200 (example only)
set the XP one to 192.168.1.201.

You will need to take note of the settings for static or dynamic ip
address.

Have you tried IPCONFIG /RENEW at a command prompt?

From experience, (which is only amateur) if it is 2000 compatible,
it's also XP compatible. The router itself shouldn't worry about what
operating system you're running (at least on the ethernet ports, USB
can be trickier).

--
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
- Ken Olson, President of DEC, 1977
Old October 3rd 05, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chip

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:37:50 GMT,it is alleged that Chip
spake thusly in uk.telecom.broadband:

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:32:06 +0100,it is alleged that henner
spake thusly in
uk.telecom.broadband:

Gaz Wrote:
"henner" wrote in message
...-

[...]

From experience, (which is only amateur) if it is 2000 compatible,
it's also XP compatible. The router itself shouldn't worry about what
operating system you're running (at least on the ethernet ports, USB
can be trickier).

Eek, one addendum: If the 2000 computer says 'obtain IP address
automatically' don't try to manually set one on the XP machine, that
way lies confusion and hatred of computers.