Wireless security

Old October 1st 05, 04:07 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Mr T

Default Wireless security

I have recently setup a wireless network with my laptop and 3 desktops. At
present I have no security on my network. Can someone advise me what
security I need to setup on my network?
Thanks

Mr T

Old October 1st 05, 04:38 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Justin Thompson

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 15:07:21 GMT, "Mr T" wrote:

I have recently setup a wireless network with my laptop and 3 desktops. At
present I have no security on my network. Can someone advise me what
security I need to setup on my network?
Thanks

Mr T

Apologies all for x-post

Mr T - dont be so f'ing lazy - hit google. This has been done to
death.

Cheers

Old October 2nd 05, 02:11 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Justin Thompson

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:00:43 GMT, "Doz" wrote:

What sort of answer is "hit google"?

Sigh
wonders about the limit of peoples imagination
wonders if Doz has missed a "y" off the end of his name
has better things to do with life, and gets on with it
is happy

Old October 2nd 05, 02:33 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Doz" wrote in message ...

Mr T must be chuffed with all the help you gave...

With a name like "Justin", what else do you expect.....??

--
Regards,
Graham.
Old October 2nd 05, 04:27 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

"Mr T" wrote in message
I have recently setup a wireless network with my laptop and 3 desktops. At
present I have no security on my network. Can someone advise me what
security I need to setup on my network?
Thanks

Mr T

The best thing to do is enable MAC address filtering on the access point.
Add the MAC addresses of the wireless networkcards. This will make it much
harder for any random passer to even connect to the AP network.

Old October 2nd 05, 09:28 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
mikeFNB

2nd that
best & simplest way

mike

Old October 2nd 05, 10:22 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Mr T

"mikeFNB" wrote in message
2nd that
best & simplest way

mike

"Mark" wrote in message

"Mr T" wrote in message
I have recently setup a wireless network with my laptop and 3 desktops.
At
present I have no security on my network. Can someone advise me what
security I need to setup on my network?
Thanks

Mr T

The best thing to do is enable MAC address filtering on the access point.
Add the MAC addresses of the wireless networkcards. This will make it
much harder for any random passer to even connect to the AP network.

Thanks to everyone who contributed sensible answers

Mr T

Old October 2nd 05, 10:54 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,ntl.discussion.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
David Taylor

2nd that
best & simplest way

So what security does MAC filtering bring to the table?

It doesn't provide any encryption whatsoever.

The valid MAC addresses are broadcast for anyone to sniff.

If the objective is to prevent casual bypassers from connecting, then
even 40 bit WEP has value here and even gives a slither of security.

MAC filtering brings nothing useful from a security standpoint which was
the original question.

David.