Netgear DG834GT

Old October 1st 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMX

Default Netgear DG834GT

Is there a problem with these routers dropping the adsl connection? It
probably my line the attenuation is 63db and noise margin is 11.2db but i
read a few posts saying that there could be a problem with the router and
sometimes when the connection drops it wont connect again then when i reboot
the router is connects right away which made me wonder but still the line
attenuation etc seem to high/low looking at guides and other peoples
readings what can i do about that? im about 1 mile from the exchange. cheers

Old October 2nd 05, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMX

I disconnected all wires from the master socket + ring wire for upstairs
line and the noise margin went up to 25db now i've just left the ring wire
disconnected from upstairs line and connected the other extensions + dialler
and now its at 17.5db and i've had a solid connection for 10 hours never got
more than an hour before so it looks like just disconnecting 1 wire has made
my connection stable

Old October 3rd 05, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

AMX wrote in
:

Is there a problem with these routers dropping the adsl connection? It
probably my line the attenuation is 63db and noise margin is 11.2db
but i read a few posts saying that there could be a problem with the
router and sometimes when the connection drops it wont connect again
then when i reboot the router is connects right away which made me
wonder but still the line attenuation etc seem to high/low looking at
guides and other peoples readings what can i do about that? im about
1 mile from the exchange. cheers

First question: which firmware have you got on the router? It's mentioned on
the router web config page. If you've got the original firmware that came
with the router, there's a bug which labels the attenuation and noise margin
value the wrong way round! This confused the hell out of me: other people
were reporting much better (lower) attentuation and better (higher) noise
margin than me, so I was puzzled that I had a flawless 2 Mb connection.
Firmware V1.01.28 cures that bug.

However it doesn't explain why your line is disconnecting. What line speed
does it connect at? Have you tried with the router plugged into the master
BT socket and with no other phones or wiring connected? Might be worth
trying that to see if it makes any difference either to the symptoms or to
the attenuation/noise values (once you've got firmware that labels them
correctly!).

Have you got "WAN Setup | Connect automatically as required" ticked? It's
strange that the router always reconnects when you reboot but fails to do so
when the line drops. Try pulling out the ADSL line for a minute and then
plugging it back in. The router should reconnect: the i-in-a-circle ADSL
light should flash yellow then go green and the log should show LCP down -
LCP is coming up - CHAP authentication success.

Old October 3rd 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMX

hi thanks for the reply
the firmware is V1.01.28 it will just disconnect sometimes and not reconnect
untill i reboot or if it does reconnect takes a few hours when the
connection is on it seems fine full speeds etc for 1mb i disconnected all
other lines and plugged into main socket and noise margin went upto 25db now
i've disconnected the ring wire for upstairs extension and put the
downstairs line back its gone down to about 16db it is set to connect
automatically i unplugged the adsl line from the router the i light stays on
green and the router shows its still connected but the noise margin
says -4.-9 db then after a few minutes the router shows the connection as
disconnected in the status etc but the i light still stays on green then i
plug the adsl line back in and after a few minutes the i light goes out and
it stayed out for a few minutes so i unplgged the adsl line again then
plugged it back in and it flashed orange then went green and connected on
its own