2meg adsl - phone line won't accept it?

Old October 3rd 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterCB

Default 2meg adsl - phone line won't accept it?

Hiya, I enquired with my Isp about moving to 2mb,
already have 1mb, and they said they'd check with BT.

BT told them that my line is not capable - he didn't
give him a reason to tell me - does anyone have any
ideas why this could be?

Cheers
Peter

Old October 3rd 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

PeterCB [email protected] wrote:
Hiya, I enquired with my Isp about moving to 2mb,
already have 1mb, and they said they'd check with BT.

BT told them that my line is not capable - he didn't
give him a reason to tell me - does anyone have any
ideas why this could be?

Line too long, or made of the wrong kind of string.

Does your modem/router have a status page, to report connection
information?
Old October 3rd 05, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterCB

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
PeterCB [email protected] wrote:
Hiya, I enquired with my Isp about moving to 2mb,
already have 1mb, and they said they'd check with BT.

BT told them that my line is not capable - he didn't
give him a reason to tell me - does anyone have any
ideas why this could be?

Line too long, or made of the wrong kind of string.

Does your modem/router have a status page, to report connection
information?

I guess. What in particular are you after?
Is it speedtouch connection status?
Or is it the diagnostics bit?

Old October 3rd 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

PeterCB [email protected] wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
PeterCB [email protected] wrote:
Hiya, I enquired with my Isp about moving to 2mb,
already have 1mb, and they said they'd check with BT.

BT told them that my line is not capable - he didn't
give him a reason to tell me - does anyone have any
ideas why this could be?

Line too long, or made of the wrong kind of string.

Does your modem/router have a status page, to report connection
information?

I guess. What in particular are you after?
Is it speedtouch connection status?
Or is it the diagnostics bit?

Any page with statistics such as
Attenuation: 55dB (down)
Signal-noise Margin 12dB (down)
Attenuation: 20dB (up)
Signal-noise Margin 20dB (up)

Or similar.

Old October 3rd 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

"BT told them that my line is not capable "

you can see this info for yourself at the www.bt.com/broadband number
checker.

Phil

Old October 3rd 05, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterCB

"PhilT" wrote in message
oups.com...
"BT told them that my line is not capable "

you can see this info for yourself at the www.bt.com/broadband number
checker.

Phil

Thanks phil - due to the length of the line !!!

Cheers for that
Peter

Old October 4th 05, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , PeterCB
[email protected]? writes

Thanks phil - due to the length of the line !!!

Cheers for that
Peter

Still worth changing your own modem figures though (most modems
including the Speedtouch 330 can be persuaded to produce them).

The BT Checker is set rather conservatively, and in about 5-10% of cases
is just plain wrong. (Eg this line was flagged as marginal at 1Mbps but
in fact runs at 2Mbps with a downstream attenuation of 32db and a noise
margin of 26db. Pity it picks up the light program on the droolly house-
wiring too)
--
robert w hall
Old October 4th 05, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , robert w hall
writes

Still worth changing your own modem figures though

c/chang/check/
--
robert w hall
Old October 4th 05, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 09:53:45 +0100, robert w hall
wrote:

The BT Checker is set rather conservatively, and in about 5-10% of cases
is just plain wrong.

underestimates in ~20%, overestimates in ~1% of cases according to a
presentation I found somewhere.

perhaps its +/- 10% skewed to minimise failures.

Phil