ADSL bt engineer visit

Old October 6th 05, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

Default ADSL bt engineer visit

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 19:16:41 +0100, "AMX" wrote:

What excactly does the engineer do when they visit?

find the incoming line and plug his modem into it, if it works he
leaves. If not he tries to make it work. (bit of a summary).

Phil

Old October 6th 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 19:16:41 +0100, "AMX" wrote:

What excactly does the engineer do when they visit?

find the incoming line and plug his modem into it, if it works he
leaves. If not he tries to make it work. (bit of a summary).

It may look that simple, but it's not, if the line passes at the test
socket on the NTE he will more than likely give some advice as to what
you can do to make it work over your internal wiring, if you want him to
deal with it himself then it becomes chargable .

If it fails at the test socket then the engineer will investigate
further, looking for a better cable path (ADSL wise) between your
exchange & your house, this can be quite complex or quite simple, each
case needs to be taken on it's own merits.

So it's not a quick in , APTS & out (I wish it were......)

Old October 6th 05, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 19:16:41 +0100, "AMX" wrote:

What excactly does the engineer do when they visit?

find the incoming line and plug his modem into it, if it works he
leaves. If not he tries to make it work. (bit of a summary).

Phil

Surely he stays to drink the nice cup of tea you make him. ;-0
--
Adrian A

Old October 6th 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Adrian wrote:
Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 19:16:41 +0100, "AMX" wrote:

What excactly does the engineer do when they visit?

find the incoming line and plug his modem into it, if it works he
leaves. If not he tries to make it work. (bit of a summary).

Phil

Surely he stays to drink the nice cup of tea you make him. ;-0

You're my kind of end user ;-)

Honestly the number of end users offering cuppas is far out weighed by
the number who don't. Funny thing is that the nice ones (offering
cuppas) will all be on the same day, so by the end of it you're having
to reluctantly turn them down.

Old October 6th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:03:16 +0100, "Kraftee"
please we're bristish.com wrote:

So it's not a quick in , APTS & out

you missed the bit where I said "(bit of a summary)."

Phil

Old October 6th 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:03:16 +0100, "Kraftee"
please we're bristish.com wrote:

So it's not a quick in , APTS & out

you missed the bit where I said "(bit of a summary)."

No I was remembering all the ones who do take the easy path & I end up
having to solve the problems

Old October 6th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 19:16:41 +0100, "AMX" wrote:

What excactly does the engineer do when they visit?

find the incoming line and plug his modem into it, if it works he
leaves. If not he tries to make it work. (bit of a summary).

It may look that simple, but it's not, if the line passes at the test
socket on the NTE he will more than likely give some advice as to what
you can do to make it work over your internal wiring, if you want him to
deal with it himself then it becomes chargable .

If it fails at the test socket then the engineer will investigate
further, looking for a better cable path (ADSL wise) between your
exchange & your house, this can be quite complex or quite simple, each
case needs to be taken on it's own merits.

Interesting... I have a BT engineer coming out on Monday morning to check
my newly activated line - although to be honest, I am not sure there is
anything wrong with the line - my modem syncs at 2Meg/288, s/n & line
attenuation numbers are very good (26-30 both ways) and yet my download
speed is rubbish. Sometimes as low as 190Kb/sec. Oddly enough my upload
speeds are always bang on max (256Kbps) I'm les than 1Km from the
exchange, no in-house wiring, modem plugged directly into master socket,
etc. (BT say exchange isn't contended, ISP is Zen who I have to say have
been very helpfull so-far!)

Still, it'll be nice to see what happens!

Gordon