Moving from Tiscali to Be, how to obtain MAC code?

Old October 4th 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tone-EQ

Default Moving from Tiscali to Be, how to obtain MAC code?

Has anyone managed to obtain their MAC code from Tiscali? Their website
obviously doesn't make it easy to find out how to jump ship, maybe the
broadband cancellation phone number?

While I'm here, has anyone heard of this company?
http://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/canBeHome.do
It does sound too good to be true but a 24Meg connection is an offer I can't
refuse!

Regards,
Tony.

Old October 4th 05, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 22:14:41 UTC, "Tone-EQ"
wrote:

While I'm here, has anyone heard of this company?
http://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/canBeHome.do
It does sound too good to be true but a 24Meg connection is an offer I can't
refuse!

Try looking back in this newsgroup just a few days...

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old October 5th 05, 02:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike G

"Tone-EQ" wrote in message
Has anyone managed to obtain their MAC code from Tiscali? Their website
obviously doesn't make it easy to find out how to jump ship, maybe the
broadband cancellation phone number?

Tiscali don't make it easy to migrate. I left Tiscali about 4 months ago, so
I know from personal experience.
The main problem is that their BB service uses DataStream, meaning they
don't use or provide MAC keys. You have to cancel and then subscribe to your
chosen ISP. The next problem is that until they release your BB connection,
your chosen ISP cannot give you a BB service. From when my cancellation
became effective. It took 15 days before my line was released enabling PN to
give me a BB connection. In the meantime I had to use a 56k dial-up modem.
Very simply, most ISP's use IPStream for BB, which is managed by BT, whereas
Tiscali use DataStream, which they manage themselves.
A more detailed explaination of the difference can be found he-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsltype.htm

While I'm here, has anyone heard of this company?
http://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/canBeHome.do
It does sound too good to be true but a 24Meg connection is an offer I

can't
refuse!

Can't help you there. Have a look he-

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Mike.

Old October 5th 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DH

"Tone-EQ" wrote:

While I'm here, has anyone heard of this company?
http://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/canBeHome.do
It does sound too good to be true but a 24Meg connection is an offer I can't
refuse!

My expected activation with Be is tomorrow! (See 'anyone got be* ???'
thread)

I'll post how it goes.. although I'm not sure if the free router/modem
is going to arrive on time, because the Be tracking service (for
delivery) doesn't seem to be working.

Incidentally, (ahem) check my sig below to make a great sounding deal
even better, i.e. to save yourself a month's subscription to Be.

You know it makes sense
DH
--
The Be 'Refer a friend scheme': Input my Be registered email during
me directly for my Be registered email, so we can both benefit.

Old October 5th 05, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DH

"DH" wrote:

"Tone-EQ" wrote:

While I'm here, has anyone heard of this company?
http://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/canBeHome.do
It does sound too good to be true but a 24Meg connection is an offer I

can't
refuse!

My expected activation with Be is tomorrow! (See 'anyone got be* ???'
thread)

I'll post how it goes.. although I'm not sure if the free router/modem
is going to arrive on time, because the Be tracking service (for
delivery) doesn't seem to be working.

CORRECTION: The modem has just arrived!

Old October 6th 05, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tone-EQ

Has anyone managed to obtain their MAC code from Tiscali? Their website
obviously doesn't make it easy to find out how to jump ship, maybe the
broadband cancellation phone number?

Tiscali don't make it easy to migrate. I left Tiscali about 4 months ago,
so
I know from personal experience.
The main problem is that their BB service uses DataStream, meaning they
don't use or provide MAC keys. You have to cancel and then subscribe to
your
chosen ISP. The next problem is that until they release your BB
connection,
your chosen ISP cannot give you a BB service. From when my cancellation
became effective. It took 15 days before my line was released enabling PN
give me a BB connection. In the meantime I had to use a 56k dial-up modem.

Just called the Tiscali broadband cancellation line and they said they are
trialling a new MAC service and a code would be with me within 5 working
days! If that doesn't work then I'll just cancel.

I dont mind using a dial up modem for a short while, as long as I can get to
my e-mail.

Regards,
Tony.
--
"Tell me, Mr. Anderson, what good is a phone call if you are unable to
speak?"

Old October 6th 05, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike G

"Tone-EQ" wrote in message
[...]

Presumably they mean within 5 days from when the 30 day cancellation notice
takes effect?
The trialling is no doubt as a result of pressure that's been put on them to
make migration easier. There have many complaints about the way they drag
their feet, making cancellation a laborious and frustrating experience.

I dont mind using a dial up modem for a short while, as long as I can get

my e-mail.

The same day I gave 30 days notice to Tiscali, I subscribed to a dial-up a/c
with PlusNet. I addded a 56k modem and configured all the n/g settings, mail
etc, and ran both accounts, until the BB connection was switched off. 15
days later when Tiscali released my line, all I needed to do was install the
Voyager 105 ADSL modem supplied by PN and within a minute or so had a BB
connection to my dial-up account. A seamless changeover.

Initially I tried to connect using the Sagem 800 modem supplied by Tiscali.
It didn't work. Rather than trying to sort it, it was easier to install the
Voyager 105, which worked perfectly immediately after the s/ware was
installed.

As far as email goes, that's where a 'for life' email address like those
you get from Bigfoot.com can help. I've had mine since '97, and have found
it very useful.
Means you can change ISP's as many times as you like, but your email
address can always remain the same.
Mike.

Old October 6th 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

:

As far as email goes, that's where a 'for life' email address like
those you get from Bigfoot.com can help. I've had mine since '97, and
have found it very useful.
Means you can change ISP's as many times as you like, but your email
address can always remain the same.

I had Bigfoot addresses, but they wanted me to consent to being spammed so
I ditched them.

Now, I have my own .co.uk domain that costs me less than 5 a year and
forwards email to wherever I choose.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,

Old October 6th 05, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike G

"Joe Soap" wrote in message
:

As far as email goes, that's where a 'for life' email address like
those you get from Bigfoot.com can help. I've had mine since '97, and
have found it very useful.
Means you can change ISP's as many times as you like, but your email
address can always remain the same.

I had Bigfoot addresses, but they wanted me to consent to being spammed so
I ditched them.

I didn't know that. Must have changed since I registered
I took mine out in 1997 and I can honestly say I have never had any spam
from them, or been asked to consent to any. Apart from the very occasional
email from them telling me about options I might like, I never hear from
them.
I've also only ever received a handful of spam emails to the address over
the years, but as I only use it for incoming personal mail, that probably
explains why that is.

Now, I have my own .co.uk domain that costs me less than 5 a year and
forwards email to wherever I choose.

Exactly as I can do with my bigfoot address for nothing. :-)

Seems a shame that apparently new subscribers can't have the same deal as
myself without spam.
Mike.