Non-LLU ISPs Migration to ADSL2+

Old October 5th 05, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default Non-LLU ISPs Migration to ADSL2+

The 2 ISPs (Be and Bulldog) that are planning to launch 24 meg with
ADSL2+ are both LLU ISPs. Will the non-LLU ISPs have to wait for BT's
21CN network to be rolled out before they can launch ADSL2+?

And will BT's 21CN network be natively IPv6?

Also, when do you think that most ISPs will support multicasting?

Please sign the petition asking the BBC to provide better audio quality
on its radio stations on DAB, Freeview, satellite and cable:
http://tinyurl.com/a68e4

Old October 5th 05, 07:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 23:23:13 GMT, "DAB sounds worse than FM"
wrote:

Also, when do you think that most ISPs will support multicasting?

When the BBC start writing it into their peering agreements.

Plusnet have some sort of multicasting test running at the moment.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.gigajam.com/
Old October 5th 05, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

wrote:

Also, when do you think that most ISPs will support multicasting?

When the BBC start writing it into their peering agreements.

It says on here that they will sign an agreement for it:

http://support.bbc.co.uk/multicast/peering/

"We do not require a formal peering agreement, but will sign one,
subject to negotiation, if you require one."

They're launching live streams of BBC1 and/or BBC2 next year, but
they'll be multicast only. Do you think that will make most ISPs support
multicasting?

Plusnet have some sort of multicasting test running at the moment.

There's quite a few that support it according to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadband/info/...t.shtml#hook10

Here's the streams:

http://support.bbc.co.uk/multicast/streams.html

A couple of people have said that the streams are working. Looking at
other posts they were on Clara and Zen (which isn't on the list of ISPs
that support it).

Old October 5th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DAB sounds worse than FM

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

There's quite a few that support it according to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadband/info/...t.shtml#hook10

Here's the streams:

http://support.bbc.co.uk/multicast/streams.html

A couple of people have said that the streams are working. Looking at
other posts they were on Clara and Zen (which isn't on the list of
ISPs that support it).

Correction: Zen is on the list of ISPs.

Old October 5th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

Will the non-LLU ISPs have to wait for BT's
21CN network to be rolled out before they can launch ADSL2+?

they will have to wait for BT to provide it, I don't see it depending
on 21CN as the existing DSLAMS could be upgraded (or may not need to
be) but 21CN may bring it along anyway.

And will BT's 21CN network be natively IPv6?

pass. Is there a need ?

Also, when do you think that most ISPs will support multicasting?

when they ask the BBC or other multicast providers ?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadband/info/multicast.shtml

Phil

Old October 5th 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 07:35:51 GMT, "DAB sounds worse than FM"
wrote:

Looking at
other posts they were on Clara and Zen (which isn't on the list of ISPs
that support it).

from the web link
Service Providers :-

JANET
C&W
Claranet ************
NetServices
Bogons.net
Plusnet
Zen *************

Phil

Old October 5th 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

I'm on Plusnet and the multicast streams are not working.

Is multicast away of using bandwidth effieciently?

Dan

Old October 5th 05, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 5 Oct 2005 22:02, "Dan" wrote:

Is multicast away of using bandwidth effieciently?

Yes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast

It could mean that, for example, if there were 1000 PN users looking
at some TV output, there'd be one stream from the BBC site to PN, and
then PN would split it to serve the 1000 users, rather than there have
to be 1000 connections from PN to the BBC site. Cheaper (less traffic)
for PN and cheaper (less resources used) for the BBC too. Peter M.

Old October 7th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 22:02:51 +0100, "Dan" wrote:

I'm on Plusnet and the multicast streams are not working.

I believe that you have to be part of the trial for it to work.