Motorla SB5100 modem and D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router

Old October 5th 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Parker

Default Motorla SB5100 modem and D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router

I recently had BB installed via Telewest. I decided to go the wireles
route rather than having cables all over the house. They supplied m
with a Motorola SB5100 which works fine when connected via Ethernet t
my PC. I purchased a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router so I could acces
the web in another room.

The modem is next to the BB connection on the wall and the router nex
to it connected via Ethernet. The router installation appears to b
fine as my PC can see the wireless network and I get a strong signa
however I cannot connect to the web. I have checked all the LED's o
both the modem and router and they appear to be fine. Telewest hav
checked my modem and assured me it is fine also (as it works withou
the router) but obviously won't support my router as it wasn'
purchased through them. The modem and router appear to 'talk' to on
another as the WLAN LED on the router goes out when I unplug th
Ethernet cable. I've tried the usual resets, re-boots, re-installs bu
nothing works.

Any suggestions or known incompatibility issues?

Thanks in advanc

--
Rob Parker
Old October 5th 05, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Rob Parker" wrote in message

I recently had BB installed via Telewest. I decided to go the wireless
route rather than having cables all over the house. They supplied me
with a Motorola SB5100 which works fine when connected via Ethernet to
my PC. I purchased a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless router so I could access
the web in another room.

The modem is next to the BB connection on the wall and the router next
to it connected via Ethernet. The router installation appears to be
fine as my PC can see the wireless network and I get a strong signal
however I cannot connect to the web. I have checked all the LED's on
both the modem and router and they appear to be fine. Telewest have
checked my modem and assured me it is fine also (as it works without
the router) but obviously won't support my router as it wasn't
purchased through them. The modem and router appear to 'talk' to one
another as the WLAN LED on the router goes out when I unplug the
Ethernet cable. I've tried the usual resets, re-boots, re-installs but
nothing works.

Any suggestions or known incompatibility issues?

Thanks in advance

--
Rob Parker

You have purchased the wrong router. That paticular router is for an ADSL
line, and as such will not work on cable broadband. This is a common mistake
that people have with routers.
Who suggested this model? Was it the shop that you purchased it from? Did
you fully explain that you were going to use Telewest broadband? If so, I
would suggest you take it back and swap it for a different router (Linksys
WRT54G, D-Link DI-614+)

Old October 5th 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
ABC opined very noisily:
"Rob Parker" wrote in
message ...

I recently had BB installed via Telewest. I decided to go the
wireless route rather than having cables all over the house. They
supplied me with a Motorola SB5100 which works fine when connected
via Ethernet to my PC. I purchased a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless
router so I could access the web in another room.

The modem is next to the BB connection on the wall and the router
next to it connected via Ethernet. The router installation appears
to be fine as my PC can see the wireless network and I get a strong
signal however I cannot connect to the web. I have checked all the
LED's on both the modem and router and they appear to be fine.
Telewest have checked my modem and assured me it is fine also (as it
works without the router) but obviously won't support my router as
it wasn't purchased through them. The modem and router appear to
'talk' to one another as the WLAN LED on the router goes out when I
unplug the Ethernet cable. I've tried the usual resets, re-boots,
re-installs but nothing works.

Any suggestions or known incompatibility issues?

Thanks in advance

--
Rob Parker

You have purchased the wrong router. That paticular router is for an
ADSL line, and as such will not work on cable broadband. This is a
common mistake that people have with routers.
Who suggested this model? Was it the shop that you purchased it from?
Did you fully explain that you were going to use Telewest broadband?
If so, I would suggest you take it back and swap it for a different
router (Linksys WRT54G, D-Link DI-614+)

Correct answer ! see
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=372
--