Connection Problem

Old October 5th 05, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duck

Default Connection Problem

I connect to internet wirelessly via a BT 2100 Voyager and until a few weeks
ago had no problems. Now if I break the connection, eg by turning laptop
off, I have to switch my router off and then on again after booting up the
laptop to obtain internet connection. This is despite the wireless and dsl
lights remaining lit on the router and the laptop showing a wireless network
connection with the router. Any ideas please?

Old October 5th 05, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Duck wrote:

I connect to internet wirelessly via a BT 2100 Voyager and until a
few weeks ago had no problems. Now if I break the connection, eg by
turning laptop off, I have to switch my router off and then on again
after booting up the laptop to obtain internet connection. This is
despite the wireless and dsl lights remaining lit on the router and
the laptop showing a wireless network connection with the router. Any
ideas please?

Do you have any other PCs also connected to the router? If so, can they
still access the internet?

Is the router acting as a DHCP server and dishing out an IP address to the
laptop? If so, has the laptop still got its IP address when it has its
problem?

[When everything is working ok, type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) at
a command prompt - and make a note of what it says - particularly for the
wireless connection. Repeat this when it fails to work, and compare with the
original].

When you get the problem, can you ping the router from the laptop by typing
"ping 192.168.1.1" (or whatever the router's IP address is) at the command
prompt? If so, can you ping something whose IP address needs to be fetched
from a DNS server - e.g. "ping www.bbc.co.uk"?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old October 6th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duck

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Tim, no other PC's connected. Am able to ping router but not bbc, until i
restart router.

Old October 6th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Duck wrote:

[...]

In that case, the PC seems to have lost either its gateway address or its
DNS settings.

What happens if, instead of BBC, you try to ping its IP address
[212.58.224.81]?

What does ipconfig /all reveal for the Default Gateway, and Primary and
Secondary DNS addresses a) when everything is ok, and b) when it's not?

If you point your browser at the router's config page, what does it say
about DNS addresses a) when everything is ok, and b) when it's not?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old October 8th 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duck

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
What happens if, instead of BBC, you try to ping its IP address
[212.58.224.81]?

I am able to ping using IP address
What does ipconfig /all reveal for the Default Gateway,

and Primary and
Secondary DNS addresses a) when everything is ok, and b) when it's not?

Default gateway remains blank whether ok or not, Primary & Secondary
addresses remain same.
If you point your browser at the router's config page, what does it say
about DNS addresses a) when everything is ok, and b) when it's not?

Again, addresses remain same. Not sure if its relevant but DHCP is not
enabled, how can I enable it? Incidentally, its now getting harder to
connect, with a connection no longer guaranteed by restarting router ...I'm
getting desparate!

Old October 8th 05, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Duck wrote:

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
What happens if, instead of BBC, you try to ping its IP address
[212.58.224.81]?

I am able to ping using IP address
What does ipconfig /all reveal for the Default Gateway,

and Primary and
Secondary DNS addresses a) when everything is ok, and b) when it's
not?

addresses remain same.
If you point your browser at the router's config page, what does it
say about DNS addresses a) when everything is ok, and b) when it's
not?

Again, addresses remain same. Not sure if its relevant but DHCP is not
enabled, how can I enable it? Incidentally, its now getting harder to
connect, with a connection no longer guaranteed by restarting router
...I'm getting desparate!

I can't see how anything *ever* works with what you've described!

If the PC doesn't have its default gateway pointing at the router, I don't
see how it can access the internet - unless I'm missing something!

You need to do one of two things:
EITHER enable DHCP on the router (there should be a simple box to tick in
the setup dialogue, and you then have to specify the range of IP addresses
to be dished out) AND under the TCP/IP properties for your PC's wireless
connection, tell it to "Obtain an IP address automatically"

OR make sure that DHCP is disabled in the router, and tell the PC to "Use
the following IP address". You then specify an address in the same range as
that of the router's LAN address - not it's internet address - (just
increment the last field of the router's address by 1 if you've only got one
PC) use the same mask as used by the router, and set the Default Gateway to
be the router's (LAN) IP address. For good measure, give the PC explicit DNS
addresses - as specified by your ISP - rather than leaving it to get them
from the router.

DHCP is designed to make it easy to 'plug and go' - but people seem to have
all sorts of problems with it, with leases timing out etc. - particularly
with wireless connections. Give me fixed IP addresses (as per the second
option above) every time!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old November 9th 05, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duck

Duck wrote:

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
What happens if, instead of BBC, you try to ping its IP address
[212.58.224.81]?

I am able to ping using IP address
What does ipconfig /all reveal for the Default Gateway,

and Primary and
Secondary DNS addresses a) when everything is ok, and b) when it's
not?

addresses remain same.
If you point your browser at the router's config page, what does it
say about DNS addresses a) when everything is ok, and b) when it's
not?

Just to let ya know finally sorted problem out, was conflicting with
i-tunes, BT have now released updated drivers to cope. Nice to get
hassle-free surfing back :-)