lost internet

Old October 5th 05, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JIP

Default lost internet

Hi there

Have a small home network and have lost ability to connect to internet from
one point.

The network is controlled from a Linksys modem router. This is hardwired to
mainPC (a desktop) with Win XP Pro, with which all is working fine. Can see
rest of network and connect to internet.

Next is a laptop that has wireless connection with Win XP Home - again
network and internet working fine.

Then there is the other desktop, with Win XP Pro, with wireless connection.
This one isn't used much but I just had need to go use it. It connects to
the network OK, but will not link to internet. It always used to, and
nothing should have been changed on it, but when I try the net I keep being
taken to a BT warning site.

Any clues on where to start?

Old October 5th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 5 Oct 2005 21:58, "JIP" wrote:

Any clues on where to start?

Try ipconfig /all in an MS-DOS window on each PC and compare them, to
see if the Gateway, subnet mask and DNS entries are similar... Can you
'ping' the router from each of them (tests the wireless is working OK)?
Peter M.

PS Are you related, or a friend, of Mr Hoskins in Oregon ? Just that
using a mail address with the domain "thatplace.com" will get *him*
junk mail. If it was my domain, I'd seek you out and bill you !!!!

Old October 5th 05, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JIP

ahhhh hadn't thought of that - just invented an address for newsgroup use.
Wil change that then!

Will also try your suggestions thanks

Old October 6th 05, 03:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Festering Pus

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:58:33 +0100, "JIP" wrote:

Hi there

Have a small home network and have lost ability to connect to internet from
one point.

The network is controlled from a Linksys modem router. This is hardwired to
mainPC (a desktop) with Win XP Pro, with which all is working fine. Can see
rest of network and connect to internet.

Next is a laptop that has wireless connection with Win XP Home - again
network and internet working fine.

Then there is the other desktop, with Win XP Pro, with wireless connection.
This one isn't used much but I just had need to go use it. It connects to
the network OK, but will not link to internet. It always used to, and
nothing should have been changed on it, but when I try the net I keep being
taken to a BT warning site.

Any clues on where to start?

YES!

You're with P L U S N E T

Change provider ASAP!

Old October 6th 05, 07:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

JIP wrote:

Then there is the other desktop, with Win XP Pro, with wireless connection.
This one isn't used much but I just had need to go use it. It connects to
the network OK, but will not link to internet. It always used to, and
nothing should have been changed on it, but when I try the net I keep being
taken to a BT warning site.

Any clues on where to start?

Go and have a read in the PlusNet web forums. There are a number of
threads there with people complaining about the same problem.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.
Old October 6th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JIP

Can that be the same thing? At the very same time that the computer I
mentioned was refusing to connect to the internet, the other two computers
on the network were connected. All 3 connect via the same modem/router. How
could that be an ISP problem?

But yet, on just checking 24hrs on, all 3 are now connecting fine.

Old October 6th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JIP

All details from cpconfig were same/related, and all could ping the router
(don't forget I mentioned that the erring computer could actually see the
network itself).

However, having gone to bed without resolving it, today the problem has
vanished!!

Old October 6th 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

JIP wrote:
Can that be the same thing? At the very same time that the computer I
mentioned was refusing to connect to the internet, the other two computers
on the network were connected. All 3 connect via the same modem/router. How
could that be an ISP problem?

No idea I'm afraid. I was just pointing out that there are currently a
number of people complaining in the forum that they can only get to the
BT page.

From a quick scan of the posts it seems to be related to using an
incorrect DNS after a line drop and can be "fixed" by repeatedly
dropping the line until the correct DNS is used.

Old October 7th 05, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

Any clues on where to start?

what do you get if you open a dos box, and ping www.yahoo.co.uk?

Sparks...

Old October 7th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JIP

Well now I get the reply, because it's sorted it's own problem out without
me doing anything. If the problem repeats, I'll try that and post back.

Thanks anyway