Painless transfer from AOL to Plusnet or Zen?

Old October 6th 05, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Halmarack

Default Painless transfer from AOL to Plusnet or Zen?

Hi, a despondent friend who's ISP is AOL phoned me. She wants to
change to another ISP. I told her that Plusnet and Zen seem to be well
regarded. Is there any easy route to changing to one of these
alternatives?
TIA
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Old October 6th 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 13:44:05 +0100, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

Hi, a despondent friend who's ISP is AOL phoned me. She wants to
change to another ISP. I told her that Plusnet and Zen seem to be well
regarded. Is there any easy route to changing to one of these
alternatives?
TIA

Hi Mike,

The easiest way is for your friend to speak to AOL and as for what's
called a MAC (Migration Authorisation Code). With this she can move her
ADSL service from one ISP to another with ease and minimal downtime
(normally no more than 15-30 minutes in the middle of the night).
Whilst I can't really comment on Zen, with PlusNet once she has the MAC
all your friend needs do is go to our website, select the account she
wants, and during the registration it will ask if she's migrating and to
enter the MAC, current ISP and speed along with all the normal details
(contact details, payment details, etc.) and we'll take care of the rest.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old October 6th 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Dave, I'll print your advice for her.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Old October 6th 05, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

wrote:

[...]

Be aware that Plusnet have chosen not to display their Fair User
Policies (effectively capping to all intents & purposes) & the fact that
they traffic shape (to a greater or lesser extent) on all of their
products.

They have chosen to do so as it may confuse any potential customers
(more like put them off).

Old October 6th 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Festering Pus

wrote:

Hi, a despondent friend who's ISP is AOL phoned me. She wants to
change to another ISP. I told her that Plusnet and Zen seem to be well
regarded. Is there any easy route to changing to one of these
alternatives?
TIA

Plusnet!? Are you mad? Or do you secretly hate your friend?
Old October 6th 05, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GuessWho

I was going to go to PlusNet but on checking them out it seems they keep
shifting the goalposts re........capping limits........traffic
shaping........misleading info re. 45 day no cost guarantee.

As a previous poster has alerted you BEWARE.......check the small print.

The devil is in the detail

Old October 6th 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

.. I told her that Plusnet and Zen seem to be well
regarded. Is there any easy route to changing to one of these
alternatives?
TIA

Mike, Plusnet *used* to be well regarded, they now have all sorts of
confusing caps, sups, aups and confusing bronze gold silver and whatever
accounts, constant U-Turns, ETC. They recently introduced caps and on the
same day throttled their customers to dial up speed without warning for
large downloads 3 months before said caps were introduced, they now treat
their customers like dirt, but don't take my word for it, go to
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/ and look at the Plusnet message forums, its not
pretty.

Good luck in whatever your friend decides to do.

Cheers.

Colin

Old October 6th 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Mike, Plusnet *used* to be well regarded, they now have all sorts of
confusing caps, sups, aups and confusing bronze gold silver and whatever
accounts, constant U-Turns, ETC. They recently introduced caps and on the
same day throttled their customers to dial up speed without warning for
large downloads 3 months before said caps were introduced, they now treat
their customers like dirt, but don't take my word for it, go to
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/ and look at the Plusnet message forums, its
not pretty.

The reality is that there is a small, half percent or so, who are very
vociferous and have abused the system. The result is their activities have
been seriously curtailed. Interesting theat Pipex has done the same this
week but I don't see any vilification of them! For the other 99.5% Plus is
fine.

Peter Crosland

Old October 6th 05, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

[...]

This is a lady who doesn't have high expectations of the Internet, she
just wants it to work at the appropriate time. She seems to believe
that AOL is lacking in this respect. I know what you mean about
restrictive measures though and I'm sure that some people are
offended. ISP's can't sell higher priced services if the lower priced
ones are satisfactory. "You get what you pay for" innit?

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Old October 6th 05, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

Hi, a despondent friend who's ISP is AOL phoned me. She wants to
change to another ISP. I told her that Plusnet and Zen seem to be well
regarded. Is there any easy route to changing to one of these
alternatives?
TIA

Plusnet!? Are you mad? Or do you secretly hate your friend?

Not anymore! :-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack