HELP! How do I get BT to Provision my line for 2 meg?

Old October 6th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wiffy

Default HELP! How do I get BT to Provision my line for 2 meg?

I am currently on 1 meg with TalkTalk. I want to go to 2 meg, and
everything supports that fact I can: The availability checker, my line stats
(which incidentally would support up to 8 meg if desired), and I live within
650m of the exchange. BT lines to house are relatively new (less than 10
years old), and even with the most tortuous cable route, I cannot see how I
can exceed any distance tolerances from my exchange. I appreciate that a)
the availability checker is not definitive (subject to line test, blah blah)
and b) there will be a margin of error with my local line stats from my
Netgear router, but I cannot see the problem here. BT have rejected it
three times, stating insufficient line capacity, which is tosh. Talktalk
are getting frustrated with me, and don't seem to be getting anywhere with
BT. How can I force this issue, because I feel like I am being mucked about
here? Surely I can demand that a local line check is done, to support their
assertions, or see their test results: They may not even have done any
tests.

Anybody had similar experiences or know what I can do to get this sorted. I
know my line will support 2 meg, but how can I get BT (via TT) to do this??
(Any BT engineers out there...???)

Thanks in advance

Ian

Old October 6th 05, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Demanding this that and the other is seldom effective when you want people
to cooperate with you! Have you actually checked the BT site to see if it is
a problem with sufficient ADSL (DSLAM) capacity in the exchange? If so you
are just going to have to wait until it gets installed.

Peter Crosland

Old October 6th 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Mr Wiffy wrote:
[...]

The only way will be to see if TT will push a manual upgrade order thru
for you, some ISP's will, some won't. Remember you may live 650Mtrs
from the exchange, but the cables going from you to it may take a very
round about route to get to you (no there is nothing you can do to get
this changed).

What concerns me is that the rejection message doesn't seem to apply to
your line but to your exchange i.e insufficient line capacity, so may be
there is a problem at the exchange which will need to be sorted out
before you can get the 2Mb you are wanting.

If it was a line problem it would say something along the lines of to
much loop attenuation or you line is to long (not neccesarily true as
it's the nature & the construct of the network which governs the
acceptable line lengths). Remember in certain exchange areas end users,
living less than 1Km from the relavent exchange, can't get more than
512k..

Old October 7th 05, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wiffy

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
| On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:43:40 +0100, "Mr Wiffy"
| wrote:
|
| I am currently on 1 meg with TalkTalk.
|
| what speed does your modem sync at ? I know two people on "512" with
| TT who have modem speeds of 2M already.

It syncs at a standard 1 meg rate - 1152 down and 288 up. I had already
checked this out but thanks for mentioning it anyway.

Ian