Netgear Router gone mental

Old October 6th 05, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark

Default Netgear Router gone mental

I've been using my Netgear DG834T router in my house fine for about 6
months, numrous PCs and laptops all connected and all using broadband. DHCP
giving out reserved IPs etc etc

Today however, everything has gone tits up. While working this afternoon my
net connection just stopped, I figured it might be plusnet but ruled that
out after I couldn't connect to my router (192.168.0.1). I rebooted the
router and things got back to normal. A few hours later the same happened
again, but this time when I rebooted the router, things didn't go back to
normal.

At first the router ignored my reserved IP on my main PC of 192.168.0.2 and
gave it something like 169.154.32.0.1? and it wouldn't connect to the net. I
could at this point still log into my router, when I did I could see that
under attached devices it simply listed "unknown". Ok, so here I disabled
WEP, deleted the reserved IPs and rebooted. All the devices are able to get
the SSID but and all the adaptors show connected but I can't log into the
router, and the IPs are being sent out.

I spend ages trying to get back into my router but couldn't. So then I hook
up an ethernet cable and try to log in without any luck. I've even tried to
reset the router to factory default and I still can't get in with the
default login and nothing will connect. Is my router scrweed? All the
lights/indicators are fine.

I'm sick to death of dodgy netgear products. This will be the 3rd netgear
product I've sent back within a year.

Old October 6th 05, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Newnham

mark wrote:
I'm sick to death of dodgy netgear products. This will be the 3rd netgear
product I've sent back within a year.

I'd ring up Netgear UK - they are usually pretty helpful with replacing
broken stuff, although make sure you get UK technical support, because
if they're busy then the call forwards to somewhere else, and they can't
really help. It may take a few tries but I've had free replacements
under warranty with no trouble, whenever I've had problems.

--
Phil

Old October 7th 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Isn't the warranty renewed with each new router? I took one back to PC
World.co.uk after about only one month and they replaced it without
question. Mine was the same make as yours but model no.DG834G.
I do understand it is a nuisance when they break down but it's a big
help when you are continually covered for new.

Old October 8th 05, 01:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

JohnK:
Isn't the warranty renewed with each new router?

NO, it is NOT. If they replace it then you still ONLY get one years warranty
from your original purchase date.
You be better off getting PC World to refund the money, then buy another one
!
( but if you buy another Netgear then I would say it's you gone mental...)
Regards,
Martin
returned Netgear, bought Draytek - no more lost hair or sleep