Stupid qiestion and feel free to have a laugh - read inside

Old October 6th 05, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Big Craigie

Default Stupid qiestion and feel free to have a laugh - read inside

I took the plunge an ordered (and installed) Tiscali broadband, up to 2 Mb
speed and unlimited downloads for the usual 18 per month. I was with
Freeserve, then Wanadoo and had set up various pay as you go accounts so
that I could get the webspace. I have cancelled my Wanadoo anytime (saying
that I was going to Australia for 6 months). I have now realised that I
cannot access any of my wanadoo webspace via FTP. Have I been stupid or
niaive. I have been running my local website www.eh47.freeserve.co.uk
(Whitburn On The Web) for 6 years now and unless I can access the
"uploads.webspace.freeserve.net" I'll have to buy webspace and redirect.
Please have a laugh, I feel soo stupid and angry...plus Tiscali don't have
half as many newsgroups as Wanadoo, any idea as to how I can get them added.
Cheers
Big Craigie

Old October 7th 05, 02:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike G

"Big Craigie" wrote in message

Tiscali don't have
half as many newsgroups as Wanadoo, any idea as to how I can get them

added.

You can ask, but I doubt Tiscali will add anything for you. Their poor n/g
service was the main reason I left them. When I complained, it was pointed
out to me that usenet coverage was not really a feature of their service.
If you check their website and advertisements I doubt you'll find n/g's
mentioned.
I've just looked at their website again. If it is mentioned, it's well
hidden. :-)

I finished up using the free, as it was at the time,.'news.individual.net'.
When they started charging I registered with 'news.readfreenews.net'. Maybe
not as many n/g's as some ISP's provide, and text only, but a helluva lot
more than Tiscali offer, and they provide a good trouble free service. If
you want binaries, you might be better off subscribing to a news service
that includes binaries.
Mike.

Old October 7th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

[...]

Use any freeserve account to dial-up to their servers, then ftp away.
For the sake of 20pa for some webspace and 7 for a 2-year co.uk domain, it
would have stopped this problem

Old October 7th 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Krustov wrote:
uk.telecom.broadband , Big Craigie , bigcraigieyourclothes13
@yahoo.co.uk

Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:46:13 +0100

I took the plunge an ordered (and installed) Tiscali broadband, up
to 2 Mb speed and unlimited downloads for the usual 18 per month. I
was with Freeserve, then Wanadoo and had set up various pay as you
go accounts so that I could get the webspace. I have cancelled my
Wanadoo anytime (saying that I was going to Australia for 6 months).
I have now realised that I cannot access any of my wanadoo webspace
via FTP. Have I been stupid or niaive. I have been running my local
website www.eh47.freeserve.co.uk (Whitburn On The Web) for 6 years
now and unless I can access the "uploads.webspace.freeserve.net"
I'll have to buy webspace and redirect. Please have a laugh, I feel
soo stupid and angry

Years ago on fwa I advised you to spend the 7 for a .co.uk to prevent
something like this happening and you ignored the advice because it
was troll who said it to .

While not laughing at you - you do only have yourself to blame for the
situation .

But all is not lost , I believe you can ftp to any freeserve webspace
using any freeserve account if you still have the account settings and
some old fwa users on wanadoouk.help.misc might be able to help you
out
for the redirect .

(www.eh47.freeserve.co.uk being still active)

You can get unix or windows hosting for 15 a year in you do decide to
get a .co.uk domain & you only need to change the name servers as that
allows you to host it anywhere .

I've just checked, whitburn.org.uk is still available.
--
Adrian A

Old October 7th 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Adrian wrote:

I've just checked, whitburn.org.uk is still available.

cybersquatter

Tempting, tempting

/cybersquatter

--
Tony

Anon
Old October 7th 05, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Big Craigie

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:

I've just checked, whitburn.org.uk is still available.

cybersquatter

Tempting, tempting

/cybersquatter

--
Tony

Tony
You are not far from the truth here. I would love to have Whitburn.co.uk but
that has been taken up BUT NOT USED and is for sale. I just wish I had the
clout to go to the people who oversee the web and tell them that I've been
running my Whitburn website for 6 years now, it's the biggest one in
Whitburn (the only one!!) and the Whitburn where I live is the biggest in
the world, hence my website "must" be the biggest Whitburn website in the
world ;-) and maybe I have more right to use Whitburn.co.uk
By the way, my site is at www.eh47.freeserve.co.uk the EH47 is out post
code.
Regrading my original post, I've cancelled Tiscali as I'm still within the
14 days and I'll join Wanadoo briadband at a later date, just to save the
bother.
Best wishes
Craig

Old October 7th 05, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Big Craigie wrote:

I took the plunge an ordered (and installed) Tiscali broadband, up to
2 Mb speed and unlimited downloads for the usual 18 per month. I was
with Freeserve, then Wanadoo and had set up various pay as you go
accounts so that I could get the webspace. I have cancelled my
Wanadoo anytime (saying that I was going to Australia for 6 months).
I have now realised that I cannot access any of my wanadoo webspace
via FTP. Have I been stupid or niaive. I have been running my local
website www.eh47.freeserve.co.uk (Whitburn On The Web) for 6 years
now and unless I can access the "uploads.webspace.freeserve.net" I'll
have to buy webspace and redirect. Please have a laugh, I feel soo
stupid and angry...plus Tiscali don't have half as many newsgroups as
Wanadoo, any idea as to how I can get them added. Cheers
Big Craigie

In order to get ftp access to Freeserve/Wanadoo webspace, you have to be
physically connected to a Freeserve/Wanadoo server. You can't do this while
connected to Tiscali BB - but you *can* do it by dialling in to a (any)
Freeserve/Wanadoo PAYG account, using your old dial-up modem.

Obviously, now you have a fast(?) BB connection, you don't want to pay good
money for a slow dial-up connection to maintain your website. So why don't
you do what I did when I transferred from Freeserve dial-up to PlusNet BB? I
moved all the content to my PlusNet webspace, and put a simple re-direct on
Freeserve so that anyone trying to access the old address gets automatically
re-directed to the new one. Presumably you get some webspace with your
Tiscali account? If you don't want to host the Whitburn site on your
personal account, you can probably open a few Tiscali PAYG accounts and use
their webspace - which you should be able to access while connected to
*your* Tiscali account.

You'll need to keep your Freeserve account(s) active so that the webspace
doesn't get zapped. You can either dial in for a few seconds every 3 months
or wait for emails to become inaccessible and then go the Wanadoo 'retreive
account' page ( which you can access while connected to Tiscali) and
re-activate the account. If you do this, you need to abort *before* it
starts altering settings on your PC! [The acount actually gets re-activated
very early in the process].

HTH.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old October 7th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:46:28 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

In order to get ftp access to Freeserve/Wanadoo webspace, you have to be
physically connected to a Freeserve/Wanadoo server. You can't do this while
connected to Tiscali BB - but you *can* do it by dialling in to a (any)
Freeserve/Wanadoo PAYG account, using your old dial-up modem.

What a complicated way to save a few pence. Why not move the whole lot
to something like www.goddady.com . They have good web hosting service
at $3.95 a month.

http://www.easynn.com
Old October 7th 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:46:13 +0100, "Big Craigie"
wrote:

I took the plunge an ordered (and installed) Tiscali broadband, up to 2 Mb
speed and unlimited downloads for the usual 18 per month. I was with
Freeserve, then Wanadoo and had set up various pay as you go accounts so
that I could get the webspace. I have cancelled my Wanadoo anytime (saying
that I was going to Australia for 6 months). I have now realised that I
cannot access any of my wanadoo webspace via FTP. Have I been stupid or
niaive. I have been running my local website www.eh47.freeserve.co.uk
(Whitburn On The Web) for 6 years now and unless I can access the
"uploads.webspace.freeserve.net" I'll have to buy webspace and redirect.
Please have a laugh, I feel soo stupid and angry...plus Tiscali don't have
half as many newsgroups as Wanadoo, any idea as to how I can get them added.
Cheers
Big Craigie

When I left Freeserve as was, I kept the dial up account running with
them to be able to continue using my email address.
I dial in once a month an acess Google for a few seconds just to keep
it "live".
I can still access my FS web space but _only_ when dialed in with a
56k modem.
Would that work for you?
Old October 8th 05, 06:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 07 Oct 2005 14:45, wrote:

What a complicated way to save a few pence. Why not move the whole lot
to something like
www.goddady.com . They have good web hosting service
at $3.95 a month.

On the other hand, you may well get space allocated by an ISP and be able
to simply redirect with some registration services, if you don't want to
have independent web space... I once paid $9.95 on Ebay for a year's
hosting, and a domain name to be registered, so there are ways quite
a bit cheaper than $3.95 x 12 :-) Peter M.