Question about DSL Filters

Old October 7th 05, 02:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimmyob

Default Question about DSL Filters

Hello I just ordered DSL I got the Install Kit. and i have a questinon
abut the Filters...

I have a filter with a DSL Jack and a Phone Jack on it. I am obiosly
going to plug the DSL into the DSL Jack, However my question is can i
use a standard phone spilter in the "phone" jack on the filter. So i
can hook up my TIVO and and my Phone on the same Outlet?

Please write back
Thanks

Old October 7th 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike H

"Alex Crosby" wrote

Yes - this won't be a problem unless you have too many other PSTN
devices and exceed the maximum REN

The more expensive filters tend to have larger ring capacitors, so can
handle a greater REN.

- Mike

Old October 7th 05, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:09:00 +0100, "Mike H" wrote:

The more expensive filters tend to have larger ring capacitors, so can
handle a greater REN.

but at some point the exchange or the line becomes limiting. REN isn't
usually much of an issue, as they only report it in integers.

Phil

Old October 7th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike H

"Phil Thompson" wrote

The more expensive filters tend to have larger ring capacitors, so can
handle a greater REN.

but at some point the exchange or the line becomes limiting. REN isn't
usually much of an issue, as they only report it in integers.

Yes agreed, but if you want to use all the REN available on your line (4?),
through a single filter, then the ring capacitor has to be correctly rated.
The problem is that the cheaper filters don't have a 1u8 capacitor, or if
they do then it is a 1u8 electrolytic with their wide initial tolerances
[1u2, anyone?], incorrectly stressed as you're running an AC signals through
a polarised component [even with the DC shift], plus it's only a question of
time before they dry out.

The more expensive filters typically have a 1u8 non-polarised capacitor,
which is exactly what is needed!

- Mike

Old October 7th 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:43:58 +0000 (UTC), "Mike H"
wrote:

Yes agreed, but if you want to use all the REN available on your line (4?),
through a single filter, then the ring capacitor has to be correctly rated.

agreed, but 4 modern devices marked REN=1 probably have a total REN
below 1

Phil