Choice of DSL router

Old October 7th 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Choice of DSL router

Can I seek the group's quick advice please on a good but value-for-money DSL
router.

I need to connect my ADSL line which is being installed next week and link
it to my office Ethernet LAN. I don't really want a wireless DSL router
because I already have a wireless access point which works fine for me.

I was just about the buy the D-Link DSL-504T and then saw this...

------------------------------------
"The user interface for configuration stinks: it is clunky, and
unintuitive. If you want informative and useful documentation for the
504T - forget it." etc. etc.
------------------------------------

I understand the "user interface" comments because my wireless access point
is a D-Link product and it isn't very good.

Is the Linksys Etherfast any good?

Thanks!

Old October 7th 05, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Steve wrote:
Can I seek the group's quick advice please on a good but
value-for-money DSL router.

I need to connect my ADSL line which is being installed next week and
link it to my office Ethernet LAN. I don't really want a wireless
DSL router because I already have a wireless access point which works
fine for me.

I was just about the buy the D-Link DSL-504T and then saw this...

------------------------------------
"The user interface for configuration stinks: it is clunky, and
unintuitive. If you want informative and useful documentation for the
504T - forget it." etc. etc.
------------------------------------

I understand the "user interface" comments because my wireless access
point is a D-Link product and it isn't very good.

Is the Linksys Etherfast any good?

Thanks!

I'm using the D-Link DSL-504T, I had no problems setting it up. I don't know
if others are any easier as this is the only one I've dealt with.
--
Adrian A

Old October 7th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Adrian
says...
Steve wrote:
[...]

D-Link DSL-G604T

The 504 is outdated nowadays, the 604 is way better to configure. Five
minute job even for a newbie. For that price you get wireless built into
it, but I just use mine for wired at the moment and it's still excellent
and competitively priced.

FR
Old October 7th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Steve" wrote in message
Can I seek the group's quick advice please on a good but value-for-money

DSL
router.

I need to connect my ADSL line which is being installed next week and link
it to my office Ethernet LAN. I don't really want a wireless DSL router
because I already have a wireless access point which works fine for me.

A ,Wireless DSL router would be totally useless on ADSL unless ytou are
using a ADSL modem with an ethernet port, but would be ideal on cable
broadband.

Not being picky, just hopefully clearing the mist for any noobies that might
come across this thread ;-0

What you need, is an ADSL modem/router for ADSL.

P.

Old October 7th 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

3com officeconnect is the most stable mid price adsl router i have used,
make sure you are on the newest firmware.

Gaz

Old October 7th 05, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"PJB" wrote in message ...

"Steve" wrote in message
Can I seek the group's quick advice please on a good but value-for-money

DSL
router.

I need to connect my ADSL line which is being installed next week and
link
it to my office Ethernet LAN. I don't really want a wireless DSL router
because I already have a wireless access point which works fine for me.

A ,Wireless DSL router would be totally useless on ADSL unless ytou are
using a ADSL modem with an ethernet port, but would be ideal on cable
broadband.

Not being picky, just hopefully clearing the mist for any noobies that
might
come across this thread ;-0

A wireless DSL router would be perfectly fine. Why would a none
compatible(with uk adsl) DSL wireless router be available for sale?? I think
you are confusing a broadband/cable wireless router with an adsl router.

Gaz

Old October 8th 05, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Gaz" wrote in message

"PJB" wrote in message

A ,Wireless DSL router would be totally useless on ADSL unless ytou are
using a ADSL modem with an ethernet port, but would be ideal on cable
broadband.

Not being picky, just hopefully clearing the mist for any noobies that
might
come across this thread ;-0

A wireless DSL router would be perfectly fine. Why would a none
compatible(with uk adsl) DSL wireless router be available for sale?? I

think
you are confusing a broadband/cable wireless router with an adsl router.

no, I'm not confused, and I have both types at home, for adsl and cable.
These newsgroups abound with stories of folk buying the wrong router for
their connection. A DSL router is not an ADSL router. A DSL router has an
ethernet WAN port, an ADSL router has a RJ11 phone connection as it's WAN
port. DSL routers are usually advertised as DSL/Cable routers, but not
always.

P.

Old October 8th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

I would recommend a Cisco 1721 router. It has provision for 2 ADSL WAN cards
so in the future you could bond two adsl lines to aggregate througput. Very
dependable and flexible. Runs IOS.

Andy

Old October 9th 05, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ric

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:29:28 +0000 (UTC), "Steve"
wrote:

Can I seek the group's quick advice please on a good but value-for-money DSL
router.

I need to connect my ADSL line which is being installed next week and link
it to my office Ethernet LAN. I don't really want a wireless DSL router
because I already have a wireless access point which works fine for me.

I was just about the buy the D-Link DSL-504T and then saw this...
------------------------------------
"The user interface for configuration stinks: it is clunky, and
unintuitive. If you want informative and useful documentation for the
504T - forget it." etc. etc.
I understand the "user interface" comments because my wireless access point
is a D-Link product and it isn't very good.

Is the Linksys Etherfast any good?

Thanks!

The 504-T also has unresolved local security issues and should not be
used in a commercial environment (unless you trust all the users on
your LAN).

ric