PlusNet Traffic Shaping: Usenet

Old October 8th 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default PlusNet Traffic Shaping: Usenet

I thought Plusnet's traffic shaping was only supposed to affect Usenet binary
servers, not 'text only' ??

Reading posts during so called 'peak times' is a joke now, I get faster
response via dial up (I'm not joking).

(PlusNet 'Plus' Tariff, and Individual.net news server)

--
Mark
Old October 8th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
woooshuk

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
I thought Plusnet's traffic shaping was only supposed to affect Usenet
binary
servers, not 'text only' ??

Reading posts during so called 'peak times' is a joke now, I get faster
response via dial up (I'm not joking).

(PlusNet 'Plus' Tariff, and Individual.net news server)

I thought this shaping was only with the plusnet news server but after
signing up with another news provider I can see a massive reduction in speed
in the evenings.

Plusnot - you are crap.

Old October 8th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
woooshuk

Plusnot - you are crap.

Yes, it's a fact. Even if you subscribe to a premium news server your
connection is throttled by PlusNet between 4 pm and midnight. This is for
all Plusnet accounts including Premier.
Fortunately I've migrated to Zen so I can now use the Usenet at full speed
whenever I want.
--
jpnews

I will be with F2s in 5 days and counting................

Old October 8th 05, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob .-.-.

Thanks for the "user" comments on that guys. I WAS about to sign up for Plus
net - Time to give it a wide birth me thinks until they sort themselves
out - I'm only a light user and would not appreciate a "throttling" in the
"minimal" service I can get out in the country.
Cheerio now
Bob

Old October 9th 05, 03:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Festering PusNet

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 19:23:29 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

I thought Plusnet's traffic shaping was only supposed to affect Usenet binary
servers, not 'text only' ??

It looks like Plusnet apply this "shaping" (doesn't sound too good
when you call it what it really is - 'throttling', does it?) to
everyone, regardless and routinely, no matter what account they're on.

Reading posts during so called 'peak times' is a joke now, I get faster
response via dial up (I'm not joking).

Using Plusnet between the hours of 4pm - 12am is like wading through
treacle.

Oh, and you may like to be careful with your criticism of Plusnet -
I've heard rumours (true or not) that they automatically stick people
on their '24/7' managed, throttled-to-death plan if you openly
bad-mouth them too much.
Old October 9th 05, 03:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Festering PusNet

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:54:13 +0100, "Bob .-.-."
wrote:

Thanks for the "user" comments on that guys. I WAS about to sign up for Plus
net - Time to give it a wide birth me thinks until they sort themselves
out - I'm only a light user and would not appreciate a "throttling" in the
"minimal" service I can get out in the country.
Cheerio now
Bob

Count yourself lucky that you managed to escape unscathed.

Oh, and please make sure you pass this on to friends, family and
acquaintances, the quicker we spreed the truth about Plusnet the
better.

Be sure to recommend Plusnet to your enemies though!
Old October 9th 05, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Moonshine

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 20:37:51 GMT, "jpnews"
wrote:

On 8-Oct-2005, "woooshuk" wrote:

I thought this shaping was only with the plusnet news server but after
signing up with another news provider I can see a massive reduction in
speed
in the evenings.

Plusnot - you are crap.

Yes, it's a fact. Even if you subscribe to a premium news server your
connection is throttled by PlusNet between 4 pm and midnight. This is for
all Plusnet accounts including Premier.
Fortunately I've migrated to Zen so I can now use the Usenet at full speed
whenever I want.

I too am suffering this horrendous slow down at these times of the day
- it appears only to affect connectivity over to the states - and is
not just limited to NNTP traffic but HTTP as well - if you do an
ADSLguide speed test it all looks OK - but throughput to the States is
just hopeless. I feel guilty that I've just recommended a colleague to
join PlusNet - but that was before the slow down. I think my 12months
are up - so I might be moving elsewhere if things don't improve!
Old October 9th 05, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , Festering
PusNet ! writes

Be sure to recommend Plusnet to your enemies though!

Please don't as that is more revenue in their pocket, it appears the only
thing they will listen to will be loss of revenue.

ps: 9-10pm last night NNTP 79.4kb/s (yes that is _bits_)
To steal a quote from phil (I think):
Plusnet, dial-up speeds at broadband prices.
--
fred
Old October 9th 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 09 Oct 2005 07:44 GMT, Moonshine wrote:

and is not just limited to NNTP traffic but HTTP as well - if you do an
ADSLguide speed test it all looks OK - but throughput to the States is
just hopeless.

I've had no problems with HTTP from CinemaNow.com - I can stream their movies
quite happily, and other video and audio sources I use from the USA work well
with no buffering. So what sources are you having problems with ? Of course
I could be misunderstanding, as you mention 'throughput *to* the States'

In fact, CinemaNow is working better of late than it used to do a few months
ago, so some changes over there might have been done. I'm on a BB Plus a/c
(cheapo one at 14.99/month with traffic calming on Usenet/peer-to-peer).

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!

Unsuitable for heavy downloaders, but fine for video/audio streaming.
Old October 9th 05, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:49:09 +0100, "woooshuk"
wrote:

Plusnot - you are crap.

Yes, it's a fact. Even if you subscribe to a premium news server your
connection is throttled by PlusNet between 4 pm and midnight. This is for
all Plusnet accounts including Premier.
Fortunately I've migrated to Zen so I can now use the Usenet at full speed
whenever I want.
--
jpnews

I will be with F2s in 5 days and counting................

8 days and counting for me.....
--

Shevek

iTunesRegistry.com: 4,199 tracks, 2.968 diversity
http://www.itunesregistry.com/ reports/reports.php?showuser=2 011

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r =31493

Get Firefox!
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/? q=affiliates&id=8681&t=1