What's the relationship between plusnet and tiscali?

Old October 9th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

Default What's the relationship between plusnet and tiscali?

As per the subject really, what's the relationship between Plusnet and
Tiscali ?

source: http://www.ripe.net/

% Information related to '80.229.96.0 - 80.229.127.255'

inetnum: 80.229.96.0 - 80.229.127.255
netname: PLUSNET-DIAL-ADSL
descr: Dial-up and ADSL pool
descr: Tiscali Dynamic Platform
descr: PlusNet Technologies Ltd
country: GB
admin-c: PLUS1-RIPE
tech-c: PNET2-RIPE
status: ASSIGNED PA
mnt-by: MAINT-AS6871

- ian
Old October 9th 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , ian says...
As per the subject really, what's the relationship between Plusnet and
Tiscali ?

source: http://www.ripe.net/

% Information related to '80.229.96.0 - 80.229.127.255'

inetnum: 80.229.96.0 - 80.229.127.255
netname: PLUSNET-DIAL-ADSL
descr: Dial-up and ADSL pool
descr: Tiscali Dynamic Platform
descr: PlusNet Technologies Ltd
country: GB
admin-c: PLUS1-RIPE
tech-c: PNET2-RIPE
status: ASSIGNED PA
mnt-by: MAINT-AS6871

- ian

presumably Tiscali provide some services to PusNet. Possibly their
dialup access platform. Tiscali inherited quite a bit of infrastructure
when they bought Worldonline/Screaming Net/Lineone.

It may relate to a chunk of Pusnet IP addresses allocated to cover
connections to that hardware.

FR
Old October 9th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

A while back Tiscali were reselling cheapo 256K down connections. I assume
this IP block was allocated for the PlusNet customers using that service
but the service was dumped because Tiscali are useless...

--
Colin
Old October 9th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 09 Oct 2005 19:01, ian wrote:

As per the subject really, what's the relationship between Plusnet and Tiscali ?

Over a year ago, Plus.Net launched a few lower speed accounts with names like
Connect 150, Connect 250, Connect 350, making use of the Tiscali network (as
used by other ISPs too, using DataStream and a 2000 kbps link to the exchange
but then throttled down to whatever speed the customer was paying for. I had
a 1000 kbps connection using the Tiscali service, but mail, news, and billing
was handled by another ISP). Plus.Net decided not to continue marketing some
accounts, and the ISP I used has also, quite recently, stopped using Tiscali.

(I hasten to add I had no problems, just noticed a lot more 'hops' between me
and any remote servers, as the Tiscali connection went 'round the houses' :-)

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!

Unsuitable for heavy downloaders, but fine for video/audio streaming.