Usenet unusable on Plusnet

Old October 9th 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Usenet unusable on Plusnet

It's just taken me over 2 minutes to pull 550 headers off Plusnet's
newsserver on a 2Meg connection.

Usenet is actually faster through dial-up!
Old October 9th 05, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bone Head

Well get a better ISP then

news

Old October 9th 05, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ferg

" Usenet is actually faster through dial-up!

very hard to find a decent isp for usent,ive gone through 7 different isps
all of which was crap for usenet, surprisingly freeserve/wannado had the
most groups but speeds where slow,still looking ... currently with f2s but
they dont have a lot of the groups i had before with wannado

ferg

Old October 9th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article ,
Martin Underwood writes
Steve wrote in
:

It's just taken me over 2 minutes to pull 550 headers off Plusnet's
newsserver on a 2Meg connection.

Usenet is actually faster through dial-up!

How strange. My Broadband PAYG service from PlusNet (Force9) is perfectly
usable for downloading email and news, as well as for browsing the web.

As a test, I've reset this group so OE would download the headers again. It
downloaded 1000 headers in about 4 seconds.

That's on a 2 Mbps connection. Force9's speed test has just returned a
result of 1.79 Mbps, which is towards the top end of the range of results I
normally get: I think the best I've seen is about 1.9 Mbps.

Yep, they're lying, access to NNTP, either to their servers or premium is
ferked, from my news provider, "Your max throughput is 2.47 KB/sec.", PN
says, "you can download at 142.05 KB/sec. from our servers.", I know who
I believe.
--
fred
Old October 9th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , ferg says...

" Usenet is actually faster through dial-up!

very hard to find a decent isp for usent,ive gone through 7 different isps
all of which was crap for usenet, surprisingly freeserve/wannado had the
most groups but speeds where slow,still looking ... currently with f2s but
they dont have a lot of the groups i had before with wannado

ferg

Zen.

End of story.

They in-house their usenet platform and actually spend money and
resources on it. So if you are a bunny chaser or whatever there's really
only one choice. Other in-house offerings are a joke compared to Zen's
service. More proof that you get wot u pay for....

UKOnline/Easynet used to have an excellent binary service but ditched it
altogether. Which was a shame...

FR
Old October 9th 05, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

fred wrote in
:

In article ,
Martin Underwood writes
Steve wrote in
:

It's just taken me over 2 minutes to pull 550 headers off Plusnet's
newsserver on a 2Meg connection.

Usenet is actually faster through dial-up!

How strange. My Broadband PAYG service from PlusNet (Force9) is
perfectly usable for downloading email and news, as well as for
browsing the web.

As a test, I've reset this group so OE would download the headers
again. It downloaded 1000 headers in about 4 seconds.

That's on a 2 Mbps connection. Force9's speed test has just returned
a result of 1.79 Mbps, which is towards the top end of the range of
results I normally get: I think the best I've seen is about 1.9 Mbps.

Yep, they're lying, access to NNTP, either to their servers or
premium is ferked, from my news provider, "Your max throughput is
2.47 KB/sec.", PN says, "you can download at 142.05 KB/sec. from our
servers.", I know who I believe.

I appreciate that F9's speed test probably measures HTTP access rather than
POP or NNTP access, but my download speed of 1000 headers in 4 seconds is
considerably faster than Steve's speed of 550 headers in 2 minutes. There's
something *very* different between his results and mine. I wonder whether
the problem is confined literally to PlusNet and doesn't affect subsidiaries
such as Force 9?

My experience with F9's email and news is that when they work, they download
fast. Roughly once every 20 newsgroups, I find that OE fails to connect
(immediate failure) or else times out, but I've never had a case where it's
succeeded in connecting but has then downloaded slowly. Similarly with email
(though the failure to connect is rarer - probably once every 50 attempts).

Old October 9th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

very hard to find a decent isp for usent,ive gone through 7 different
isps
all of which was crap for usenet, surprisingly freeserve/wannado had the
most groups but speeds where slow,still looking ... currently with f2s

but
they dont have a lot of the groups i had before with wannado

ferg

Zen.

End of story.

They in-house their usenet platform and actually spend money and
resources on it. So if you are a bunny chaser or whatever there's really
only one choice. Other in-house offerings are a joke compared to Zen's
service. More proof that you get wot u pay for....

UKOnline/Easynet used to have an excellent binary service but ditched it
altogether. Which was a shame...

FR

Isn't the issue here that PlusNet are deliberately crippling *all* port 119
traffic rather than a problem with their NNTP server?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 9th 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
woooshuk

How strange. My Broadband PAYG service from PlusNet (Force9) is perfectly
usable for downloading email and news, as well as for browsing the web.

As a test, I've reset this group so OE would download the headers again.
It downloaded 1000 headers in about 4 seconds.

That's on a 2 Mbps connection. Force9's speed test has just returned a
result of 1.79 Mbps, which is towards the top end of the range of results
I normally get: I think the best I've seen is about 1.9 Mbps.

Plusnet's traffic shaping for NNTP is different for PAYG than Premier.

PAYG = Silver priority.
Premier = Bronze Priority.

I am also finding Newsgroups to be better on dial-up than Plusnet premier.

Old October 9th 05, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

woooshuk wrote in
:

How strange. My Broadband PAYG service from PlusNet (Force9) is
perfectly usable for downloading email and news, as well as for
browsing the web. As a test, I've reset this group so OE would download
the headers
again. It downloaded 1000 headers in about 4 seconds.

That's on a 2 Mbps connection. Force9's speed test has just returned
a result of 1.79 Mbps, which is towards the top end of the range of
results I normally get: I think the best I've seen is about 1.9 Mbps.

Plusnet's traffic shaping for NNTP is different for PAYG than Premier.

PAYG = Silver priority.
Premier = Bronze Priority.

I am also finding Newsgroups to be better on dial-up than Plusnet
premier.

So premier is *worse* than PAYG? How illogical :-(