Sharing NTL Broadband

Old October 10th 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

Default Sharing NTL Broadband

Hi

A friend of mine has NTL broadband. His NTL cable modem is connected to his
single PC via the 10/100 LAN port. If he wants to share the connection over
wireless does he just need a wireless router? Can anyone recommend a good
suitable unit, please?

--
Regards
Barry
Old October 10th 05, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marcin Lukasik

A friend of mine has NTL broadband. His NTL cable modem is connected to
his
single PC via the 10/100 LAN port. If he wants to share the connection

over
wireless does he just need a wireless router? Can anyone recommend a good
suitable unit, please?

Yea, wireless router will do.
It may be for example Linksys.

m.

Old October 10th 05, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

A friend of mine has NTL broadband. His NTL cable modem is connected to
his
single PC via the 10/100 LAN port. If he wants to share the connection
over
wireless does he just need a wireless router?

He needs to be aware that if NTLfind out they will close his accounts.

Peter Crosland

Old October 10th 05, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:46:03 +0100, Peter Crosland wrote:

A friend of mine has NTL broadband. His NTL cable modem is connected to
his
single PC via the 10/100 LAN port. If he wants to share the connection
over
wireless does he just need a wireless router?

He needs to be aware that if NTLfind out they will close his accounts.

Peter Crosland

Well, I won't tell them, but why? Where do I find out where it says this?

--
Best regards
Barry
Old October 10th 05, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

BJH wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:46:03 +0100, Peter Crosland wrote:

A friend of mine has NTL broadband. His NTL cable modem is
connected to his
single PC via the 10/100 LAN port. If he wants to share the
connection over
wireless does he just need a wireless router?

He needs to be aware that if NTLfind out they will close his
accounts.

Peter Crosland

Well, I won't tell them, but why? Where do I find out where it says
this?

Dunno. Is there a clause in his agreement with them which says that the
connection can only be used with a single PC? If so, NTL are probably aware
of the MAC address of the network card in the PC which he currently uses. If
so, all is not lost. Many routers have the ability to perform MAC address
spoofing. In order words, the router pretends to be the PC's network card as
far as the NTL connection is concerned. Make sure he gets one with this
feature, and configures it to do this *before* connecting it to the line.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old October 10th 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Scott

Tiscali Tim wrote:
BJH wrote:

[...]

There is no problem. Ntl will in fact sell your friend the necessary
bits, at a suitably high price of course. Oh, the proviso is you keep
it within the property - no providing a local wifi hotspot on your ntl
account, which will cause him some potential grief. So *please* persuade
him to set it up with a suitable ssid, and use at least 128-bit wep!!

Just make sure he gets a plain and simple wireless router, and not one
of the jobs with an adsl modem included. And he'll need a card or bridge
for each machine, of course, although such routers do also often offer a
few wired rj45 connectors as well.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old October 10th 05, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:41:27 GMT, Mike Scott wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:
BJH wrote:

[...]

Thanks Mike, that answers my queries. I had found a Belkin device for about
40 odd that seemed to fit the bill. I'm hoping to visit him later this
week (he lives 200mls away) so I'll try and sort it for him whilst I'm
there.

--
Regards
Barry
Old October 10th 05, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jones

Peter Crosland wrote:
A friend of mine has NTL broadband. His NTL cable modem is connected to
his
single PC via the 10/100 LAN port. If he wants to share the connection
over
wireless does he just need a wireless router?

He needs to be aware that if NTLfind out they will close his accounts.

Peter Crosland

Well, it must be the only way to get an account closed with NTL then!

They'll still try to charge him afterwards anyway.
Old October 10th 05, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Ian Jones wrote:
Peter Crosland wrote:
A friend of mine has NTL broadband. His NTL cable modem is
connected to his
single PC via the 10/100 LAN port. If he wants to share the
connection over
wireless does he just need a wireless router?

He needs to be aware that if NTLfind out they will close his
accounts. Peter Crosland

Well, it must be the only way to get an account closed with NTL then!

They'll still try to charge him afterwards anyway.

NTL don't stop their customers from sharing their connections, at one
point they were even advertising a certain brand of routers.

What you've got to remember is that NTL don't support sharing & that is
a world of difference from not allowing it. All it means in fact is
that if you have a problem which could be caused by sharing your
connection you are on your own..

Old October 11th 05, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

A friend of mine has NTL broadband. His NTL cable modem is connected to
his
single PC via the 10/100 LAN port. If he wants to share the connection
over
wireless does he just need a wireless router?

He needs to be aware that if NTLfind out they will close his accounts.

Rubbish. If that's the case, why do NTL actually advertise a
third-party service installing wireless routers and adapters on their
web site?

Check the detail and I think you will find that it only applies within the
same household.

Peter Crosland