A new Plusnet record!

Old October 12th 05, 10:48 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Default A new Plusnet record!

Gizmo wrote:
"ComPCs" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

Hi there,

Is the group listed he-
ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/active

Never mind the *real* issue ..... !!

Wasn't just me that noticed the evasive action then ;o)

Hi,

Downloading bodies should not see speeds akin to some of those reported
in these threads. I have an external feed to Easynews and use Plusnet's
Premier service and can get full speeds on my 2MB line outside of peak
hours. I do use multiple threads and it is slightly slower when
downloading headers or using a single thread.

During peak hours speeds fluctuate slightly but still run at a pretty
high speed and never really drop below 130KB/s at worse. Again single
threads are less likely to achieve the higher speeds.

This as you are undoubtedly aware is due to the positioning of NNTP
traffic in our bronze queue - It is this traffic that is dropped first
during busy times. I think Dave has mentioned elsewhere in this group
that we have plans to cap our service and move it to the silver queue.
External feeds will remain prioritised as they currently are.

Kind Regards,

Old October 12th 05, 12:17 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Mike H" wrote in message
"Keith Nuttall" wrote

Is there something else I'm missing?

A couple of years back you could simply ask PlusNet, and get a straight,
truthful answer!

And at the same time they had an excellent reputation .... now it's in
tatters.

Old October 12th 05, 01:08 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
ComPCs

In article ,
_ says...

we have plans to cap our service

oh goodie, another cap that never was.
Old October 12th 05, 06:14 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Keith Nuttall wrote:
Mike H wrote in article
:

It's not quite like that anymore.

It seems to me that this year has been a watershed for ADSL at
PlusNet.

BT rolled out a bunch of free* upgrades to 2Mbit,

BT didn't roll them out, PN (& a few other isp's) took advantage of the
changes in BT Wholesales charges. It was rolled by the ISP's not BT...

and all of a sudden
PlusNet's customers have the ability to download up to four times more
than they could at the start of the year.

Most didn't, but, undoubtedly, the average punter will be using more
than they were before. Leechers would have mostly already been on
2Mbit.

You don't need to get anywhere near the theoretical download limit for
PN to start jumping up & down & the way their running their network I
would say that it's an impossibility to get anywhere near anyway

Due to the new technology, PlusNet's management will have made the
decision that they can no longer financially support the uncontended
service they have mostly provided since the introduction of ADSL, and
set a maximum spend on capacity.

So you're saying that PN jumped on the band wagon & got as many as their
customers upgraded without a thought to the repercussions on bandwidth
usage... If so yes I agree with you

Now, we are all seeing the effects of this contention, and maybe it
could be managed better.

Exactly openness & honesty don't appear to be in PN vocabulary at this
present moment in time.

Hopefully, they will sort it out eventually.
But old-timers know how long it takes PlusNet to do things. It could
be a long ride, and many people might want to catch the train instead.

Well they've got until April 2006 as far as I'm concerened...

Old October 12th 05, 07:19 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Nuttall

Kraftee wrote in article
:

BT didn't roll them out, PN (& a few other isp's) took advantage
of the changes in BT Wholesales charges. It was rolled by the
ISP's not BT...

I thought BT had to upgrade a load of exchanges?

Due to the new technology, PlusNet's management will have made
the decision that they can no longer financially support the
uncontended service they have mostly provided since the
introduction of ADSL, and set a maximum spend on capacity.

So you're saying that PN jumped on the band wagon & got as many as
their customers upgraded without a thought to the repercussions on
bandwidth usage... If so yes I agree with you

Sort of. They certainly capitalised on the new pricing structure to
enable 2Mbit accounts to be much cheaper, and therefore beat the
competition on price. But what they don't seem to have allowed for is
people being able to increase their bandwidth proportionately.

In effect, people thought they were going to get uncondended 2Mbit,
when in reality they were getting contended 2Mbit. PlusNet are covered
for this, because they have been selling ADSL as a contended service
for a long time, but failed to point out that contention was going to
become a major issue, once the upgrades went through, because they had
no intention of buying extra capacity to cope with increased demand.

--
Keith Nuttall
www.yammer.co.uk
Old October 12th 05, 08:03 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Keith Nuttall wrote:
Kraftee wrote in article
:

BT didn't roll them out, PN (& a few other isp's) took advantage
of the changes in BT Wholesales charges. It was rolled by the
ISP's not BT...

I thought BT had to upgrade a load of exchanges?

The upgrading was/is to enable things like Rambo & even ADSL2

[...]

Sorry I must disagree at this point, I understood that my 512k
connection was contended & treated it as such, but with an increase in
speed there should be a equal increase in bandwidth. What PN appear to
be doing is expecting all the people who they have upgraded to 1 or 2 Mb
to still only use the bandwidth which they were using when they were on
512k, in fact in some instances they are expecting their users to use
less. Cloud cuckoo land is that a way-----

In fact they are sadly lacking in understanding about customer service,
keeping customers informed etc, indeed any concept which is customer
supportive. I get paid to live the mushroom principle at work, I don't
expect to pay a company to do it to me in my spare time...

Old October 12th 05, 08:26 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Nuttall

Kraftee wrote in article
:

Keith Nuttall wrote:
[...]

Erm, isn't that what I just said?

Old October 12th 05, 08:45 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Keith Nuttall wrote:
Kraftee wrote in article
:

Keith Nuttall wrote:
[...]

Not quite & as I've found it's all in the fine nuances ;-)

Old October 12th 05, 09:16 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 12 Oct 2005 13:08, ComPCs wrote:

says...

we have plans to cap our service

oh goodie, another cap that never was.

It was brought up in February, in e-mail and a newsgroup posting, and
discussed at length in plusnet.service.customer-feedback (Howie made a
point of extracting the section about Usenet, from a 100+ line message
mostly about the changes (FUP) likely to take place. Given there they
have users downloading 3-4 GB of 'news' a day (and someone tell me the
newsgroups which contain *legitimate* material breaking no copyright!)
it will see another exodus of users (if they have not gone already) to
benefit those who remain, with lower needs from the news service. PGM.

--

UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/dghgq - Happy to save cash with Plus.Net!

Unsuitable for heavy downloaders, but fine for video/audio streaming.
Old October 12th 05, 09:47 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article ,
Plusnet Support Team writes
Downloading bodies should not see speeds akin to some of those reported
in these threads. I have an external feed to Easynews and use Plusnet's
Premier service and can get full speeds on my 2MB line outside of peak
hours. I do use multiple threads and it is slightly slower when
downloading headers or using a single thread.

During peak hours speeds fluctuate slightly but still run at a pretty
high speed and never really drop below 130KB/s at worse. Again single
threads are less likely to achieve the higher speeds.

Totally, totally untrue, your Premium customers, this customer, is
experiencing peak time usenet speeds of 10KB, 5kB and lower. If it was
the 130kB/s you claim there would be no complaints.

This as you are undoubtedly aware is due to the positioning of NNTP
traffic in our bronze queue - It is this traffic that is dropped first
during busy times. I think Dave has mentioned elsewhere in this group
that we have plans to cap our service and move it to the silver queue.
External feeds will remain prioritised as they currently are.

Complaints about NNTP speed in this forum are related to
disproportionately poor usenet performance during the hours you have
defined as peak. Downloading headers & articles to this (text) group is
trivial in terms of bandwidth yet is trapped within the 'usenet is evil' speed*
restrictions.

Placing any traffic for Premier paying customers within the peak time
speed restrictions that currently apply to Bronze queue is directly contrary
to your published claims for the Premier service which state, "I need a
feature packed service thatís consistently fast, even at peak times." That
service level cannot be maintained when you have Premier level usenet
access in Bronze queue. Please either upgrade usenet access for
Premium customers to Silver or drop the fast peak time performance
claims from your front pages.

(*) peak time bronze queuing amounts to disproportionate speed restriction
(throttling).
--
fred