Wireless network

Old October 10th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Default Wireless network

Looking to fit a wireless network to one fixed point over 1.5 mile of tidal
water with clear line of site. Base just a few hundred yards from activated
exchange. As an option what about a similar link to supply about 6 folk but
with a £5,000 installation limit. Seems like there is funding for us as a
group with a £5k limit for 100% grant. Additionally any advice on changing
from BT to the Post Office for line rental as I would get to save £50 in the
first year. I was told that BT may just ignore me as a customer in the case
of a fault, not that they haven't perfected that already.

Old October 10th 05, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:40:57 GMT, "Mike"
wrote:

Looking to fit a wireless network to one fixed point over 1.5 mile of tidal
water with clear line of site. Base just a few hundred yards from activated
exchange. As an option what about a similar link to supply about 6 folk but
with a £5,000 installation limit. Seems like there is funding for us as a
group with a £5k limit for 100% grant.

not clear where the 6 folk are, would they be within a 30 degree beam
of the fixed point.

Can you get well up in the air to stop half the signal hitting the
water.

Additionally any advice on changing
from BT to the Post Office for line rental as I would get to save £50 in the
first year. I was told that BT may just ignore me as a customer in the case
of a fault, not that they haven't perfected that already.

doesn't sound right as PO line rental is only pence per month cheaper
than BT. Adding 3rd parties never helps.

WLR or CPS should not affect broadband issues. You deal through the
ISP every time.

Phil

Old October 10th 05, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for reply Phil
Three of us are within 30% beam of fixed point - fixed point 40 ft asl and
only yards away from sea - remote sites, mine 50ft asl and only yards from
the sea.
(Reason for £50 discount 1st year with post office is special offer through
work)

Mike

Old October 11th 05, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Mike
writes
Looking to fit a wireless network to one fixed point over 1.5 mile of tidal
water with clear line of site. Base just a few hundred yards from activated
exchange. As an option what about a similar link to supply about 6 folk but
with a £5,000 installation limit. Seems like there is funding for us as a
group with a £5k limit for 100% grant. Additionally any advice on changing
from BT to the Post Office for line rental as I would get to save £50 in the
first year. I was told that BT may just ignore me as a customer in the case
of a fault, not that they haven't perfected that already.

Mike,

One thing to watch. The licence regime under which WiFi operates limits
the power that can be transmitted. If I remember correctly the rules
specify the maximum power as seen from any direction, not the total. So
If you use decent aerials and cut down the beam spread, you may run the
risk of raising the power (along the beam) to some figure that exceeds
the licence limit.

I don't have a clue as to who uses the WiFi bands at sea, or if there is
any shipping traffic across your proposed beam line. But someone might
notice if their radar goes blank every time they pass! OTOH your WiFi
kit might get fried if their beam is pointing in just the wrong
direction!

On the positive side you might like to take a look at
http://www.freeantennas.com/
The "Original Parabolic Reflector" page claims that
"It can easily complete links up to one Km by sitting two WAP-11's in
windows at each end of a link with clean line of site".

The discussion forum - although thin has some interesting links
regarding 4 mile links, and claims that "- out of the box 2 km is easily
done by two WAP54G or WRT54G(S) systems dedicated to creating a point to
point link"

Hope this helps

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old October 11th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marcin Lukasik

Looking to fit a wireless network to one fixed point over 1.5 mile of
tidal
water with clear line of site. Base just a few hundred yards from

activated
exchange. As an option what about a similar link to supply about 6 folk

but
with a £5,000 installation limit. Seems like there is funding for us as a
group with a £5k limit for 100% grant. Additionally any advice on changing
from BT to the Post Office for line rental as I would get to save £50 in

the
first year. I was told that BT may just ignore me as a customer in the

case
of a fault, not that they haven't perfected that already.

Using 2.4GHz band maximum EIRP allowed is 100mW.
5GHz is divided in 3 pieces. One is maximum of 1W EIRP, remaining two 100mW.

You can do 1.5 mile not exceeding 100mW EIRP without any problems.
2.4GHz/5GHz is unlicensed band, so you can use it and sleep quietly.

m.