New BT Line and ADSL Question

Old October 11th 05, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default New BT Line and ADSL Question

I am moving home in a couple of weeks and will have to get ADSL (currently
in a cable area so never had ADSL at home).

The phone is being activated at a specific time by BT on the day we move.
How long should we wait before ordering ADSL or can we do it the moment the
line goes live?

I didn't know if the ISPs had to wait or anything like that.

Thanks

Old October 11th 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

K wrote:
I am moving home in a couple of weeks and will have to get ADSL (currently
in a cable area so never had ADSL at home).

The phone is being activated at a specific time by BT on the day we move.
How long should we wait before ordering ADSL or can we do it the moment the
line goes live?

In theory, the BT line installer can have the line connected to the DSLAM ready
for you to move in and plug in.

Presumably BT already have a work order in place for the new line activation, so
they also have a job number to which an ADSL order can be attached.
If you can get that number out of them, then you may be able to get your ISP to
preorder for you. Your maileage will vary depending on the cluefulness of the
ISP concerned. Many will rely entirely on the BT availability checker which
will reject the request, and proceed no further. A few brave souls will
actually talk to BT, and should be able to arrange a quick connection for you if
armed with all of the necessary details.

Are you taking your (presumably cable) telephone number with you via a
geographic NPI, or are you getting a new number from BT?

Jim
Old October 11th 05, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Chadfield

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, K wrote:

I am moving home in a couple of weeks and will have to get ADSL (currently
in a cable area so never had ADSL at home).

The phone is being activated at a specific time by BT on the day we move.
How long should we wait before ordering ADSL or can we do it the moment the
line goes live?

I didn't know if the ISPs had to wait or anything like that.

I have just had a new BT line installed. After 48 hours the BT ADSL
Availability Checker showed I should be able to get up to 2Mb.

I was then able to order an ADSL account.

Currently connected at 2Mb just fine :-)

--
Stephen Chadfield
http://www.chadfield.com/
Old October 11th 05, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

[...]

I'm not taking the cable number with me - I never use it. I have BT already
which I am taking with me (though number will change due to exchange
differences), I only had cable for the broadband and TV, the phone was
rubbish so I kept my BT line for that.

I already have the Order number for the "Start Service" that BT gave me.

I will call the ISP and ask if they can help.

When I arranged it with BT they asked if I wanted ADSL, and I said yes (but
not with them), and they said they would do whatever they do with the line
to make it ADSL ready when it goes live.

Old October 11th 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I am moving home in a couple of weeks and will have to get ADSL
(currently
in a cable area so never had ADSL at home).

The phone is being activated at a specific time by BT on the day we move.
How long should we wait before ordering ADSL or can we do it the moment
the
line goes live?

I didn't know if the ISPs had to wait or anything like that.

I have just had a new BT line installed. After 48 hours the BT ADSL
Availability Checker showed I should be able to get up to 2Mb.

I was then able to order an ADSL account.

Currently connected at 2Mb just fine :-)

A BT search against the address or current occupiers phone number shows only
1MB :-( But properties only a couple of doors away get 2MB. I am on 2MB
with cable so will not be happy if I can't get it on ADSL.

Guess I will just have to wait and see and then argue the case thereafter.

Old October 11th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:58:59 +0100, "K" @. wrote:

The phone is being activated at a specific time by BT on the day we move.
How long should we wait before ordering ADSL or can we do it the moment the
line goes live?

there is a procedure called "simultaneous broadband provision"
designed to avoid any delay, see if BT and your ISP own up to its
existence. You get a code from one party that the other uses to tie
the two orders together. No idea how well it works.

Otherwise you may have to wait for the number to appear on the
checker, 0-10 days.

Phil

Old October 11th 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marcin Lukasik

I am moving home in a couple of weeks and will have to get ADSL (currently
in a cable area so never had ADSL at home).

The phone is being activated at a specific time by BT on the day we move.
How long should we wait before ordering ADSL or can we do it the moment

the
line goes live?

I didn't know if the ISPs had to wait or anything like that.

It usually depends on BT, sometimes takes half an hour, but they say "up to
5 days".

m.

Old October 11th 05, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Crosby

In article , "K"
@. says...

Guess I will just have to wait and see and then argue the case thereafter.

You'll find the ISP you sign up with, once your line is active, won't
initially have any data for the line (not on the checker, not on BT's
database for ISPs). They can still enter the order for the line at 2Mbit
- however if the line subsequently can't support this speed and the
order is cancelled (around 24-48 hours after the order is placed) this
will delay ADSL activation.

Depending on how far away your move is, you can try a simultaneous
provide which Phil speaks about. In fact this would be best if the post
code shows the area can get 2Mbit - as if the simultaneous provide
fails, you can just re-order for 1Mbit which will be available in the
standard 7 day lead time after the line becomes active. For a
simultaneous provide, the ISP will give you a code you can take to BT to
order the simultaneous PSTN/ADSL delivery.

Smaller ISPs would be best for either of these processes as they're
likely to have the bloke doing the manual orders sitting pretty close to
the person you speak to on the phone when you query the process, and to
be less jobsworthy about it because they actually care about obtaining
customers.

--
Alex Crosby

"is the search function a database or is it people seeing i'm searching
and helping out?"
-Anon

Old October 11th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , Jim Howes
writes
K wrote:
I am moving home in a couple of weeks and will have to get ADSL (currently
in a cable area so never had ADSL at home).

The phone is being activated at a specific time by BT on the day we move.
How long should we wait before ordering ADSL or can we do it the moment the
line goes live?

In theory, the BT line installer can have the line connected to the DSLAM ready
for you to move in and plug in.

Yeah, *in theory*. In practice, if they don't get it right first time it
could take up to six weeks from the date the line is active for
telephone calls. Mate of mine has just waited six weeks from the date
the line went active for his ADSL to be sorted (four weeks for BT to
accept an order from an ISP and then 2 weeks for his ISP to get it
right)
--
Clint Sharp
Old October 13th 05, 04:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 11 Oct 2005 19:35, Clint Sharp wrote:

then 2 weeks for his ISP to get it right

I'm curious/nosey - which ISP, please ?